Alert

If your name looks like spam your account will be deleted.

1914-1918

Painting Horses with Oils

Painting Horses with Oils

Postby alcal » 19 Dec 2007

I have been asked to re do my short example of painting horses with oils for future reference.Its not by any means a new method but here is my version.

PAINT

Windsor & Newton `Winton`37ml had them for about 20+ yrs and more recently Daler-Rowney`Georgian`75ml,but im sure any make of oils would work and a smaller tube would still go a long long way.I love the oil as it gives such a rich finish they i just cant match any other way and at the same time so simply,jees your not even painting the horse really are you. 8)

My most common colours are:
Burnt Umber
Burnt Sienna
Vandyke Brown (Hue)
Crimson Alizarin
Yellow Ochre
White
Black

APLICATION

Before oiling your horses you need to undercoat them,i used to prime them white but this makes the final wipe off more difficult,i now use a bright version of whatever i want the horse finished in.Most commonly this is a form of orange tan.
Most importantly (for me anyway)is to do the base/prime coat in enamel and to leave it about two days to thoroughly harden.Next using the oil paint straight out of the tube(although i do mix them together to give slight variations on the shade)brush it all over your horse and wipe off.I use toilet roll for this but another suggestion is sponge or cloth/linnen.
This will create all the highlights on the horse as well as leaving the defined shaded areas.You need to leave the horses two to four days to harden /dry the oil before you carry on to do the main/tail/socks/hoofs and blaze,oh and remember to paint the eyes black and dont add white unless youve got a startled horse to do.I tend to use a black wash on the main and tail of most horses,remember horses rarely have no socks or four socks.

Ist example is of the Revel German Artillery Horses in plastic:

2nd example is from the redoubt 28mm ECW range:

Simple but effective,my horses arnt the best ive seen but are very acceptable especially as in my last batch when doing over a hundred at a time! :D

Cheers AL
`I often wonder who that young lad was,
Who gave his life to cross the bloody Rhine;
And if no loved ones have him in their thoughts,
Come haunt me lad, and live again in mine`.
alcal
Dr No

Medals: 1
England 2nd place (1)

Re: Painting Horses with Oils

Postby laurence strong » 21 Dec 2007

I like those. Any chance of some closeups of the horses? I use acrylics and give them a satin coat to get the horse hair sheen.
laurence strong
Goldfinger

Medals: 10
Cav Campaigner (1) Arty Campaigner (1) Comm Campaigner (1) England Campaigner (1) FriendFoe Campaigner (1) Recce campaigner (1)
Leader Campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1) Ambulance campaigner (1) Lib Minis Campaigner (1)

Postby alcal » 21 Dec 2007

Yeh sure Lawrence,until you asked i didnt really notice how crap those pictures of finished horses were :sorry: ,il do it tonight .

AL
alcal
Dr No

England 2nd place (1)

Postby alcal » 21 Dec 2007

alcal
Dr No

England 2nd place (1)

Postby laurence strong » 22 Dec 2007

Many thanks, those are sweet :good: Working on some stuff over my Xmas break, got some nice horses almost done.
laurence strong
Goldfinger

Medals: 10
Cav Campaigner (1) Arty Campaigner (1) Comm Campaigner (1) England Campaigner (1) FriendFoe Campaigner (1) Recce campaigner (1)
Leader Campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1) Ambulance campaigner (1) Lib Minis Campaigner (1)

Return to Tutorials