Alert

If your name looks like spam your account will be deleted.

1914-1918

How to make Normandy hedgerows

How to make Normandy hedgerows

Postby Hazumi » 26 Jun 2009

Hazumi's hedgerow help

The camera foam is very flexible and is easy to curve around the bends in the roads. It's not like rigid carving foam or styrofoam. This is much softer, the stuff they put in camera cases. Though cheap foam deteriorates and crumbles or gets sticky over time, this doesn't. It's used to cushion zillion dollar Hasselblad cameras for the film industry.

After cutting the foam stripes to size, tear small bits off with your fingers. This will get old. Next glue the bits back on the foam to help break up the shape. This gets really old getting CA on your fingers. Once your happy with the hedge spray it dark green and let dry.

I made a jar of white glue cut with 50% water and pressed the hedge section completely under. squeezed out what I could and started adding the Woodland Scenics foam. I used 3 colors of coarse turf (Dark Green, Medium Green, Light Green) and 5 shades of fine turf (Earth- for the roots, Dark Green, Medium Green, Grass Green, Light Green). Use the coarse turf first and then the fine turf. I've heard that hair spray can be used too. Let it dry in the sun.

Hope this helps,
Bruce

Last edited by Hazumi on 07 Mar 2014, edited 1 time in total.
Hazumi
Nick Nack

Re: How to make Normandy hedgerows

Postby alcal » 26 Jun 2009

Thanks for that ,it has a lovely effect when finished,not sure of the figures, have you made it for 15mm or 20mm out of interest and is it a material we can get our hands on?

Cheers AL
`I often wonder who that young lad was,
Who gave his life to cross the bloody Rhine;
And if no loved ones have him in their thoughts,
Come haunt me lad, and live again in mine`.
alcal
Pussy Galore

Medals: 1
England 2nd place (1)

Postby Hazumi » 26 Jun 2009

Oops, I forgot to say. The figures are 20mm by AB. The black foam in got while I was on 1992 Dracula film. I was on the miniature crew building castles and landscapes for the miniature effects scenes. We used the foam for hedges. After the show finished they were throwing the foam out so I found a new home for it. It sat in a box for 12 years, til I finally remembered to use it. I wished I had asked where they got it. So I can't tell you where. It has a open cell size unlike most of the soft foam I've seen. If I figure out who sells it I'll post it.

Bruce
PS, My wife just read this and said she thinks it might be air filter material, or even speaker filters...hmmm. I'll check this out.

alcal wrote:Thanks for that ,it has a lovely effect when finished,not sure of the figures, have you made it for 15mm or 20mm out of interest and is it a material we can get our hands on?

Cheers AL
Hazumi
Nick Nack

Postby Michi » 26 Jun 2009

Hazumi wrote:PS, My wife just read this and said she thinks it might be air filter material, or even speaker filters...hmmm. I'll check this out.

It looks exacly like the filter foam that my wife used for her aquariums.
Michi
Stromberg

Medals: 31
Capt 2nd place (1) Cav 3rd place (1) Comm 3rd place (1) Sur1 1st place (1) Afloat 2nd place (1) Scratch1 Campaigner (1)
England 2nd place (1) Building 1st place (1) FriendFoe 2nd place (1) Armour Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Leader 1st (1)
Female 1st place (1) Winter 3rd place (1) 40mm Campaigner (1) Wings Campaigner (1) POW 3rd place (1) Truck 1st place (1)
30mm 2nd place (1) Red Campaigner (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Plast1 Campaigner (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1) 2011 Build 2nd place (1)
2012 Build (1) 2013 Build (1) xmas15 campaigner (1) xmas14 3rd place (1) 2014 build (1) 2015 build campaigner (1)
2016 build campaigner (1)

Postby Gunbird » 26 Jun 2009

Yup, air filter material, we have the same in our coffee machines, washes out easily. Never had to buy it though, but your tutorial sure is tempting me now.
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, travels around to get in the occasional game. Current flavour of the month - scenery frenzy! My Blog >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/
Gunbird
Scaramanga

Medals: 29
Capt Campaigner (1) Arty Campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1) Scratch1 3rd place (1) England Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1)
Building 3rd place (1) FriendFoe Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty Campaigner (1) Female Campaigner (1)
Sniper 2nd place (1) Winter Campaigner (1) 40mm Campaigner (1) Wings 2nd place (1) Truck Campaigner (1) 30mm 3rd place (1)
Red Campaigner (1) Green 2nd place (1) AntiTank Campaigner (1) 60mm campaigner (1) dday 1st place (1) Lib Minis Campaigner (1)
Terrain Campaigner (1) Brit Minis Campaigner (1) SandS 2nd place (1) Big Game 2010 (1) xmas15 campaigner (1)

Postby dizbuster » 26 Jun 2009

Great tutorial. Thank you for posting.
Phil
dizbuster
Mayday

Female Campaigner (1)

Postby Abdur » 26 Jun 2009

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Great.
Abdur
Hector Gonzales

Afloat 3rd place (1)

Postby Jezamonos » 26 Jun 2009

They do look very good. Your table is stunning !
Jezamonos
Largo

Medals: 15
Capt Campaigner (1) Comm Campaigner (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1) England Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1)
Leader Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1) Lib Minis Campaigner (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Brit Minis Campaigner (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1)
Big Game 2010 (1) 2010 Build (1) 2011 Build (1)

Postby jaeger » 26 Jun 2009

Jezamonos wrote:They do look very good. Your table is stunning !

Couldn't agree more!!!

Thanks for posting the tutorial!! The finished product sure looks great!!!

Cheers

Romain
jaeger
Goldfinger

Postby AJH » 26 Jun 2009

Really good looking. Thanks for sharing your technique!

-ajh
Yes, I paint for food...
My Gallery
AJH
Grishka

Postby Fantasy Fixtures » 26 Jun 2009

Great minds think alike:http://www.guildwargamers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=924 :thumbsup:

Although, I must admit, I like the way you finish yours off better than my method. The end product of your efforts looks more realistic, without adding any more time to the process.
Truth be told, the real reason the Brits engaged in imperialism was the search for something decent to eat..

http://welcometolazarus.blogspot.com/
Fantasy Fixtures
Dr No

Medals: 10
Capt Campaigner (1) Comm Campaigner (1) Scratch1 Campaigner (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Female Campaigner (1) Winter Campaigner (1)
Lib Minis Campaigner (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Plast1 Campaigner (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1)

Postby Janick » 26 Jun 2009

The black foam in got while I was on 1992 Dracula film. I was on the miniature crew building castles and landscapes for the miniature effects scenes.

That is soo cool!!!!

Thanks for the tutorial... :thumbsup:
"Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning."
I take painting commissions, ACW to Moderns! PM or email at bradjanicki AT gmail.com
Janick
Drax

Medals: 14
Capt Campaigner (1) Comm Campaigner (1) Scratch1 Campaigner (1) Building Campaigner (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty Campaigner (1)
Sniper Campaigner (1) 40mm Campaigner (1) Lib Minis Campaigner (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Brit Minis Campaigner (1) Plast1 Campaigner (1)
Scen1 Campaigner (1) 2011 Build (1)

Postby essayons7 » 26 Jun 2009

Great tutorial! Thanks!
essayons7

Postby thomastmcc » 26 Jun 2009

cool tutorial ..
thomastmcc

Postby Faustnik » 26 Jun 2009

Great concept :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

That type of foam is easily get from some hardware stores, as they sold it to stuff bags and camera carrying cases.

Thanks for posting - perhaps now I can do some hedges :good: :good: :good:

Faustnik
Faustnik
Scaramanga

Medals: 5
Building Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) fortified 3rd place (1) Terrain 2nd place (1) Scen1 1st place (1)

Postby SP> » 27 Jun 2009

really nice tutorial- makes me want to replace my old pan scrubber hedges
"... and then my loneliness closes in so I drink a German wine and drift in dreams of other lives and greater times..."

http://spprojectblog.wordpress.com/

http://www.penninemegagames.co.uk/
SP>
Blofeld

Medals: 36
Cav Campaigner (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1) Scratch1 Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Building Campaigner (1)
Comms Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Portrait Campaigner (1) fortified campaigner (1) Recce campaigner (1) Leader Campaigner (1)
Casualty Campaigner (1) Female Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1) 40mm Campaigner (1) Wings Campaigner (1) POW Campaigner (1)
Truck Campaigner (1) 30mm Campaigner (1) Red Campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1) Ambulance campaigner (1) 60mm campaigner (1)
dday campaigner (1) quick campaigner (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Brit Minis Campaigner (1) Plast1 Campaigner (1) Battle Campaigner (1)
SandS Campaigner (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1) 2010 Build (1) 2012 Build (1) xmas14 campaigner (1) easter15 campaigner (1)

Postby ArisKosionidis » 28 Jun 2009

Thanks for posting this- the finished items looks spectacular.
Nica avatar, too :grin: .
Aris K.
And paranoia has its time and place...that being all the time and every place.
ArisKosionidis
Goldfinger

Medals: 10
Cav Campaigner (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1) Scratch1 Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Wings Campaigner (1)
Terrain Campaigner (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1) 2010 Build (1) 2011 Build (1)

Postby Tim » 28 Jun 2009

Excellent tutorial, very helpful :good:

You haven't got any ideas on how to produce realistic stone walls have you? ;)

Thanks

Tim
Tim
Donald 'RED' Grant

Postby Hazumi » 29 Jun 2009

Out of 1/4 inch plastic I cut the basic shapes for the walls. Then made a rubber RTV mold of those parts and made plaster castings. I did all the rock detail carving on the plaster. Plaster is very easy to carve. Made a new RTV mold of these pieces and then started casting parts in urethane. If you look in the "Gallery" and check out the"First Photo Post - Normandy "Nuts!" Game" posting. You'll see photos of my walls. Or easier still go to, gamecraftminiatures.com, You can get my walls there. I gave Allen my masters and mold to produce. It's not as much fun to buy them but it will save you a lot of time.

Bruce

Postby Tim on 28 Jun 2009
Excellent tutorial, very helpful :good:

You haven't got any ideas on how to produce realistic stone walls have you? ;)

Thanks
Tim
Hazumi
Nick Nack

Postby Tim » 29 Jun 2009

Out of 1/4 inch plastic I cut the basic shapes for the walls. Then made a rubber RTV mold of those parts and made plaster castings. I did all the rock detail carving on the plaster. Plaster is very easy to carve. Made a new RTV mold of these pieces and then started casting parts in urethane. If you look in the "Gallery" and check out the"First Photo Post - Normandy "Nuts!" Game" posting. You'll see photos of my walls. Or easier still go to, gamecraftminiatures.com, You can get my walls there. I gave Allen my masters and mold to produce. It's not as much fun to buy them but it will save you a lot of time.

Bruce

Bruce, cheers for taking the time to reply. That has given me one or two ideas

Tim
Tim
Donald 'RED' Grant

Next

Return to Tutorials