Guide to Creating Urban Scatter

Guide to Creating Urban Scatter

Postby Biffa » 14 Nov 2017

Thought I'd share a bit about making some proper urban scatter.
Many years ago I use to have a sawmill near where I lived which enabled me to stain and make countless types of scatter, it was something many of us use to do. It was something I really got into, staining and blending countless different types and at home I almost have a whole shed dedicated to it.

I recently saw some great wrecked buildings for sale but the effect was spoiled by the scatter used to enhance the ruins so I thought I spend a day making a new batch and then post it here to help what is probably the hardest scatter to make, the holy grail of scatter - Urban Scatter.

Here's some examples of some of my other hand blended and hand coloured variants, I've sold and given away countless bags of the stuff over the years and it's great fun to experiment with.

I'm pretty fortunate because we have an Aga at home which allows me to slowly bake and dry stuff out, to make scatter quickly you're going to have to know your oven or have a fire extinguisher to hand. Also I use a coffee grinder, a pestle and mortar, a baking tray and a very understanding wife.

This is the messy bit but the ingredients and colours are important, I actually use cheap acrylics usually my kids paints, yep they're understanding too! I've used emulsions too but if you're not careful the pieces clag and you'll have to recrush everything to loosen it up. I make them all up as shown then keeping them mostly separately in colours I place them on a baking tray but don't worry too much because a bit of crossover of colour is great just don't let them all combine to make a big brown mess! As it's baking keep taking it out and loosening it with a spatchula and then placing it back in again.

Ingredients: Juweela bricks/debris and blended cork are the main elements. Juweela is quite expensive and comes only simply coloured which is why it's thrown into the mix of each colour too to add more realistic colours. then I add Noch Seafoam, wooden planks and metal parts (wire and old broken metal spears) to the Black/Brown. Broken Polyfilla sheets are then added to the white/cream along with a few pieces of the Juweela debris for colour. The sheets broken up represent plaster in among the rubble and the debris is parts that aren't made from brick. The usual sand and stones to your own taste. I sometimes add other pieces that are already painted like Jerry cans, flimsies, tyres and stuff left over from sprues from model kits of the same scale. For top notch building scatter I'll add furniture that you can make or buy.

After it's all dried I'll sometimes highlight some of the larger debris pieces by staining them with enamels to bring out the patterns, again don't worry about stuff sticking together when you combine all the colours, I usually do this before it's all properly dried so there is some sticking of different items, this can create some fascinating combinations that look amazing like pipes sticking out of bricks and clumps of bricks with mortar all by accident. Here you can see my second variant of Urban which is a lighter cheaper version of the one on the left which is more heavily made with the bought bricks and debris.

Note: I didn't buy these buildings new so I'm not sure if they came with the rubble you can see in the before picture and what it now looks like with the new rubble scatter I made today.

I may start ebaying a few stacks again in the future, but for now if you need any advice about making your own then let me know, as I said I've been making it for years and you can bet I've made a lot of mistakes.

P.S. My top tip is: when you're combing scatters start of with just a tiny bit of each and then mix and see what they look like! Take it from me it's not fun trying to unscatter scatter!
Biffa
Professor Dent

Re: Guide to Creating Urban Scatter

Postby Chris S » 14 Nov 2017

Thanks for sharing, you have achieved a great look :good: :thumbsup: :good: :thumbsup: :good:

Biffa wrote:Image

Excellent! just the excuse I need to buy some mince pies in November :-)
My painting/model-making blog - http://brushhistory.blogspot.co.uk/

Commission painting done.
Chris S
Scaramanga

Medals: 26
Capt Campaigner (1) Comm Campaigner (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) England 3rd place (1) FriendFoe Campaigner (1) Armour Campaigner (1)
Portrait 1st place (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty Campaigner (1) Female Campaigner (1) Winter Campaigner (1) Wings Campaigner (1)
Truck Campaigner (1) 30mm Campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1) AntiTank 2nd place (1) Easter14 3rd place (1) 60mm campaigner (1)
Lib Minis Campaigner (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Plast1 Campaigner (1) Battlegroup Campaigner (1) 2013 Build (1) 2014 build 2nd place (1)
easter15 1st place (1) 2015 build 3rd place (1)

Postby Bill » 14 Nov 2017

Xcellent.
Thanks for sharing.

Bill
Bill
Dr No

Postby sandsmodels » 14 Nov 2017

great work
major 20mm and 28mm scale vehicles and equipment suppliers to wargamers of the world. http://www.sandsmodels.com
pics of most of the ranges here:-http://s513.photobucket.com/albums/t339/sandsmodels/
sandsmodels
Blofeld

Postby nickoftime45 » 14 Nov 2017

Very interesting and thanks for sharing....oh and I love what your wife has cooked up! ;)
nickoftime45
Grishka

Postby Adler » 15 Nov 2017

Very nice look and thanks for sharing. :grin:
L
Adler
Grishka

Postby Peterh » 16 Nov 2017

really excellent
Peterh
Dr No

Postby Daryl » 16 Nov 2017

Thx for posting, it looks very effective.
The only thing to look forward to… is the past.
Daryl
Kananga

Medals: 2
Portrait 1st place (1) Recce 2nd place (1)

Postby Olivier » 17 Nov 2017

great, thanks for sharing..
Olivier
Blofeld

Medals: 28
Capt Campaigner (1) Comm Campaigner (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Building Campaigner (1) FriendFoe Campaigner (1)
Armour Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) fortified campaigner (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1)
40mm Campaigner (1) Wings Campaigner (1) POW Campaigner (1) 30mm Campaigner (1) Red Campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1)
Lib Minis Campaigner (1) Terrain 3rd place (1) Plast1 Campaigner (1) Battle 3rd place (1) SandS Campaigner (1) Battlegroup 3rd place (1)
2010 Build 3rd place (1) 2011 Build 3rd place (1) xmas14 campaigner (1) 2015 build campaigner (1)

Postby Piers » 17 Nov 2017

I'd buy a load!
 ‘Landed. Killed Germans. F***ed off.’ - Major Anders Lassen's operational report to the Admiralty.
'...its not a realistic expectation, that you can use a tank as a sort of big 'fruit-squashing' machine' - Woz
Piers
Dominic Greene

Medals: 42
Capt Campaigner (1) Cav Campaigner (1) Arty 1st place (1) Comm 2nd place (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1)
England Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Comms Campaigner (1) Armour 3rd place (1) Terrain2 1st place (1) fortified 1st place (1)
Recce 2nd place (1) Engineer 3rd place (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty 1st place (1) Female Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1)
40mm 2nd place (1) Wings Campaigner (1) POW Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) 30mm 1st place (1) Red Campaigner (1)
Green 1st place (1) AntiTank Campaigner (1) Easter14 2nd place (1) 60mm 2nd place (1) Lib Minis 1st (1) Terrain Campaigner (1)
Brit Minis 2nd place (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1) Big Game 2010 (1) 2010 Build (1) 2011 Build (1) 2012 Build (1)
2013 Build 3rd place (1) xmas15 2nd place (1) xmas14 campaigner (1) 2014 build 3rd place (1) 2015 build 2nd place (1) 2016 build 2nd place (1)

Postby Taylor » 17 Nov 2017

Piers wrote:I'd buy a load!

Me too :hello:
All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
Taylor
Scaramanga

Medals: 35
Flak Campaigner (1) Building Campaigner (1) Comms Campaigner (1) Photo 3rd place (1) FriendFoe 3rd place (1) Armour Campaigner (1)
Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Portrait Campaigner (1) fortified 1st place (1) Recce campaigner (1) Engineer campaigner (1) 40mm Campaigner (1)
Wings Campaigner (1) POW Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) 30mm Campaigner (1) Red Campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1)
AntiTank Campaigner (1) Easter14 Campaigner (1) Ambulance campaigner (1) 60mm campaigner (1) dday campaigner (1) quick campaigner (1)
SandS Campaigner (1) Pendraken Campaigner (1) Battlegroup Campaigner (1) 2012 Build (1) 2013 Build (1) xmas15 campaigner (1)
xmas14 campaigner (1) 2014 build (1) easter15 3rd place (1) 2015 build campaigner (1) 2016 build campaigner (1)

Postby 7dot62mm » 17 Nov 2017

Great stuff! I especially enjoyed the descriptive lables on the various sorts of scatter :thumbsup:

I've been collecting all bits and pieces left over from modelling projects and intend to glue them onto credit cards to create mounds of debris... but I think you've taken this quite a bit farther than I'll be able to :good: :good: :good:
7dot62mm
Dr No

Medals: 14
Afloat Campaigner (1) Armour Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Recce campaigner (1) Engineer campaigner (1) Female Campaigner (1)
quick campaigner (1) Lib Minis Campaigner (1) Plast1 Campaigner (1) xmas15 campaigner (1) xmas14 campaigner (1) easter15 campaigner (1)
2015 build campaigner (1) 2016 build campaigner (1)

Postby braxen » 18 Nov 2017

it really looks good! Very interesting tutorial.
braxen
Sandor

Medals: 1
Battlegroup Campaigner (1)

Postby Brodir » 18 Nov 2017

I'd buy a big bag! :good:
Brodir
Dr No

Postby lswgunner » 18 Nov 2017

put me down for a big un as well if they become available... :blush:
lswgunner
Jaws

Postby dead1 » 20 Nov 2017

Excellent tutorial. Thanks for sharing!
dead1
Pussy Galore

Medals: 1
2014 build (1)

Postby desertraider » 20 Nov 2017

this is excellent lovely stuff, looks so authentic
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war. - Plato
desertraider
Gobinda

Medals: 9
Capt Campaigner (1) Comm Campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1) Recce campaigner (1) Wings Campaigner (1) Terrain Campaigner (1)
Plast1 Campaigner (1) Big Game 2010 (1) Big Game 2011 (1)

Postby Biffa » 20 Nov 2017

Wow thanks guys, I'll make up a large batch and let you know, just kicking her Christmas Puddings out.
Biffa
Professor Dent

Postby Biffa » 21 Nov 2017

Edit: Removed this part of my original post since this thread is turning more into a Bring and Buy than a tutorial!

Details of how to buy my some of my initial batch are on the next page.

They're 140-160g packets which should do quite a few bases, hoping to do a 28mm version with larger items eventually.

Will try and get the price down eventually if I can find a new supplier of one or two of the main ingredients.
(Don't bother checking the website on the sticker, they really old, these were left over from my previous scatter life).
Last edited by Biffa on 22 Nov 2017, edited 2 times in total.
Biffa
Professor Dent

Postby Olivier » 22 Nov 2017

outstanding ..
looks so real.
Me want too
Olivier
Blofeld

Medals: 28
Capt Campaigner (1) Comm Campaigner (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Building Campaigner (1) FriendFoe Campaigner (1)
Armour Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) fortified campaigner (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1)
40mm Campaigner (1) Wings Campaigner (1) POW Campaigner (1) 30mm Campaigner (1) Red Campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1)
Lib Minis Campaigner (1) Terrain 3rd place (1) Plast1 Campaigner (1) Battle 3rd place (1) SandS Campaigner (1) Battlegroup 3rd place (1)
2010 Build 3rd place (1) 2011 Build 3rd place (1) xmas14 campaigner (1) 2015 build campaigner (1)

Next

Return to Tutorials