Flexible Cobblestone Roads

Flexible Cobblestone Roads

Postby Ryan_Davies » 07 Aug 2017

OK, so I wanted some more roads for our games. I have rolls of these model railroad adhesive cobblestone roads and I needed something to help turn them into gaming terrain. As it turns out, we had these old Ikea cork placemats. They still sell them, they are $6 for 4, which would give you twice as many roads as I made here. I made just over 4 feet, plus an intersection piece.

I cut the road strips into 12" pieces and stuck them on the placemats. I cut the cork to size, leaving about 1cm on each side to add a curb and some groundwork.

The curbs were sliced from the mats in thin strips.

Using craft paints, I painted the strips a light beige-grey concrete colour I mixed and dry brushed with off-white. White glue was used to glue them in place. The white glue I used was some kind of snotty art glue that's acid free and archival. I'm sure that's not necessary!

Then, flowering grasses and wild bushes were added to the roadsides. I just stuck them on with crazy glue as it's reasonably fast.

Now it is time to make a mess with my home-made static grass applicator. It works great, but I made some of my wires too short marking it awkward to use in some cases. Nothing a little swearing and beer can't fix. There's many youtube how-to videos on making static grass applicators, check 'em out.

There's the beaut all static-grassed up with concrete curbs. Not bad for something 50% made of junk. Some of the cork is showing through, but it just looks like dirt.

. . . and look! Bloody flexible. In order go get it to bend over a hill, for example, you might have to double-sided tape it down to get it to bend.

Here's the roads set up with other terrain, to get an idea how they look in a game. If it wasn't a long weekend, and if I gave more of a toss, I'd have arranged them so all the cobblestone was going the same direction. (mynameryan). Still, you get the point. . .

Last edited by Ryan_Davies on 14 Aug 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan_Davies
Mr Kidd

Medals: 2
Recce 3rd place (1) Engineer 2nd place (1)

Re: Flexible Cobblestone Roads

Postby SP> » 07 Aug 2017

They look great. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"... and then my loneliness closes in so I drink a German wine and drift in dreams of other lives and greater times..."

http://spprojectblog.wordpress.com/

http://www.penninemegagames.co.uk/
SP>
Blofeld

Medals: 37
Cav Campaigner (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1) Scratch1 Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Building Campaigner (1)
Comms Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Portrait Campaigner (1) fortified campaigner (1) Recce campaigner (1) Engineer campaigner (1)
Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty Campaigner (1) Female Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1) 40mm Campaigner (1) Wings Campaigner (1)
POW Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) 30mm Campaigner (1) Red Campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1) Ambulance campaigner (1)
60mm campaigner (1) dday campaigner (1) quick campaigner (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Brit Minis Campaigner (1) Plast1 Campaigner (1)
Battle Campaigner (1) SandS Campaigner (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1) 2010 Build (1) 2012 Build (1) xmas14 campaigner (1)
easter15 campaigner (1)

Postby Ray » 08 Aug 2017

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
SOTCW 118
Ray Haskins
Fulltime figure painter.
No Job too small or big.
10% Discount to fellow Guilders.
Ray
Kananga

Medals: 7
Armour Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Recce campaigner (1) Engineer campaigner (1) Ambulance campaigner (1) quick campaigner (1)
2015 build campaigner (1)

Postby Olivier » 08 Aug 2017

Splendid
Olivier
Largo

Medals: 28
Capt Campaigner (1) Comm Campaigner (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Building Campaigner (1) FriendFoe Campaigner (1)
Armour Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) fortified campaigner (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1)
40mm Campaigner (1) Wings Campaigner (1) POW Campaigner (1) 30mm Campaigner (1) Red Campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1)
Lib Minis Campaigner (1) Terrain 3rd place (1) Plast1 Campaigner (1) Battle 3rd place (1) SandS Campaigner (1) Battlegroup 3rd place (1)
2010 Build 3rd place (1) 2011 Build 3rd place (1) xmas14 campaigner (1) 2015 build campaigner (1)

Postby nickoftime45 » 11 Aug 2017

Awesome idea! :grin: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
nickoftime45
Mishka

Return to Tutorials