Making a figure in Fimo : from sketch to painted figure.

Re: Making a figure in Fimo : from sketch to painted figure.

Postby Adler » 09 Jul 2017

Tend to stick to talc/french chalk as release agent myself. Tried a few of the more 'modern' release agents when they started appearing long time ago but they reacted with different moulding compounds rather randomly for my tastes. Been using talc for 40 odd years in vulcanised moulds and never had a problem. Not up to speed with the RTV rubbers these days havent done drop moulding since the days I made 90mms far too long ago to remember with comfort lol
L
Adler
Hector Gonzales

Postby braxen » 12 Jul 2017

WOW :shock:
Honestly, I feel lucky I could read this article.

Have you thought, Tony, of training apprentices? I mean not hobby enthusiasts like us, but young people dedicating themselves to this line of work. It brings so much more than working at a local McDonald or Starbucks. Or teaching a class at an art school?
braxen
Sandor

Medals: 1
Battlegroup Campaigner (1)

Postby sandsmodels » 12 Jul 2017

the low temp silicone moulding rubber can be shaped to fit the various items in the mould but does still require a vulcaniser really,
you could use the domestic oven and some G clamps but not ideal.
i think tony's method of using rtv rubber is ideal if he does not have or want to use a vulcaniser as they can be expensive, but the general process of making the moulds are really the same.
it does take time and if you rush it you can make mistakes and you need to keep your mind on the job but it is satisfying work when you open up the mould to reveal the new mould details.
many of my masters get broken or are designed to break up once removed from the mould and i keep good examples to use if i need to remould them in the future.
major 20mm and 28mm scale vehicles and equipment suppliers to wargamers of the world. http://www.sandsmodels.com
pics of most of the ranges here:-http://s513.photobucket.com/albums/t339/sandsmodels/
sandsmodels
Blofeld

Postby Tony Barton » 13 Jul 2017

Braxen, and everybody, I have taught my basic technique to several people who have asked. They visit me , and I give them an hour , and show them all the tricks.
But that technique ( modelling in Fimo on a tile etc) is just a means to an end : you have to have done some basic anatomical and sculptural training. Pushing the mud about, whichever kind of mud you prefer, is no use at all unless you can create something that looks human.

As to taking on an apprentice, alas, the world is not organised that way. I can only just make a small living making soldiers, there's no spare cash to employ another bod , as well as no space to put them in if I could !
There was for many years a large wood-and-stone carving workshop here in York, run by a friend of mine, and he would take on apprentices , but pay them almost nothing for the first two years, because they didn't earn their keep until they had learned some useable skills. Many of them were grant-aided, and had to be , otherwise they would have lost him money.Incidentally I did a fair bit of modelling work for them, and learned a great deal.

It's even more true making miniatures . If you think back to the beginnings of wargame figures in the Sixties, the vast majority of producers since then have been self-taught one-man operations, that then expanded enough to make a small factory employing perhaps three people, rarely more, some of them family or part-time. The profit margins are just too small to industrialise fully.

And much as I would like to train someone, in the end it's down to talent and drive, neither of which can be taught. And talent is the most important of those , which then needs disciplined training in sculpture .
Tony Barton
Tee Hee

Postby braxen » 15 Jul 2017

Damn society where an overpriced Latte in a nondescript Starbucks is more appreciated than genius tiny sculpts :cry: :cry:
braxen
Sandor

Medals: 1
Battlegroup Campaigner (1)

Postby Cimmerian » 15 Jul 2017

Really interesting post, thanks for sharing the dark magic with us.
It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.

Regards, Ken
Cimmerian
General Orlov

Medals: 2
quick campaigner (1) 2016 build campaigner (1)

Postby Umpapa » 06 Aug 2017

Thank You for inside knowledge. Its eyes opening. I will never do it myself but its nice to understand.
Umpapa
Three Blind Mice

Previous

Return to Tutorials