Tribute to Gavin and Bernard Lyall

Forum rules
Blog only links will be removed, please post a few sample pics within the thread

Tribute to Gavin and Bernard Lyall

Postby patrokles » 30 Sep 2017

... hundreds years ago ... in 1983, my best friend borrowed from his friend a book ... "Operation Warboard" by Gavin and Bernard Lyall. It was the first wargaming rulebook in my live. It was my first year of education in my Secondary school. I've just started to learn English. Despite of that fact, with friend of mine (Hello :wave: Tadziu ;) ) and with some help of my "Small English Dictionary" we translated the whole rulebook ! Translation was of course terrible - my English in 1983 was basic (in 2017 my progress is not too impressive ... anyway... :shock: ) and I could hardly say "Hello" in English that time ("How do you do?", "Thank you", "Where I buy alcohol and cigarettes?") but it was like a first step behind the doors of wargaming. Since that very moment our adventure with wargaming had started. For over 30 years of playing we (Tadeusz, Marcin, Adrian, Tomek, Jarek and Tomek "PzDzdz" and me) have been changing the rules, tables, distances ... everything. Now we call our system "Symultany" because it has reserved the main wargaming engine from Lyall's book - simultaneously moving and firing. Lack of time allows us to prepare a game or two a year. The last one was in the beginning of September.
A small sleepy town in Germany. Spring 1945. The tiny force of defenders (Veteran German Infantry Platoon, AT Guns battery, MG42 MMG plus reinforcements - 4 old Pz. III tanks) have to stop advancing Americans (Company of Infantry, M10 Platoon, M24 Platoon, M5 Platoon) ...

The German Infantry, guns, tanks and most of terrain was made by PzDzdz. Roads and US Infantry by patrokles :hello:

Thanks for watching ! :hello:
patrokles :wave:
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.

George S. Patton
patrokles
Whisper

Medals: 2
Recce campaigner (1) Engineer 1st place (1)

Re: Tribute to Gavin and Bernard Lyall

Postby etranger » 02 Oct 2017

Very nice. It was a great book!
etranger
Mayday

Medals: 15
Afloat Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Building Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Casualty Campaigner (1) Winter Campaigner (1)
Wings Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1) 2010 Build (1) 2011 Build (1)
2012 Build (1) 2015 build campaigner (1) 2016 build campaigner (1)

Postby SP> » 02 Oct 2017

Great stuff- nice to see you still playing after all these years too. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"... and then my loneliness closes in so I drink a German wine and drift in dreams of other lives and greater times..."

http://spprojectblog.wordpress.com/

http://www.penninemegagames.co.uk/
SP>
Blofeld

Medals: 37
Cav Campaigner (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1) Scratch1 Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Building Campaigner (1)
Comms Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Portrait Campaigner (1) fortified campaigner (1) Recce campaigner (1) Engineer campaigner (1)
Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty Campaigner (1) Female Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1) 40mm Campaigner (1) Wings Campaigner (1)
POW Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) 30mm Campaigner (1) Red Campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1) Ambulance campaigner (1)
60mm campaigner (1) dday campaigner (1) quick campaigner (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Brit Minis Campaigner (1) Plast1 Campaigner (1)
Battle Campaigner (1) SandS Campaigner (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1) 2010 Build (1) 2012 Build (1) xmas14 campaigner (1)
easter15 campaigner (1)

Postby patrokles » 02 Oct 2017

Bluewillow wrote:Neat mate :thumbsup:

Cheers
Matt

Thank you Matt. Greetings from Warsaw :hello:

etranger wrote:Very nice. It was a great book!

It's great to hear that there is somebody else Who knows that book ! :yahoo: It is still one of my favourite wargaming systems. I haven't been playing it for years but I'd like to do that from time to time :wave: Memories .... :cray:

SP> wrote:Great stuff- nice to see you still playing after all these years too.

... yes I'm a dinosaur ... a living fossil ... that's What my wife usually says ... ;)
patrokles
Whisper

Postby dhtandco » 11 Oct 2017

One of my first wargaming books, still on my shelf after 40 plus years.Happy days.Thanks for posting
It looks a nice set up
dhtandco
Mr Osato

Postby patrokles » 15 Oct 2017

dhtandco wrote:One of my first wargaming books, still on my shelf after 40 plus years.Happy days.Thanks for posting
It looks a nice set up

It's good to hear that the Lyall's Rules are as important for you as for me :hello: yes ... there were Happy Days ...
Greetings from Warsaw :hello:
patrokles
patrokles
Whisper

Return to Game reports