Cristot June 1944

Forum rules
Blog only links will be removed, please post a few sample pics within the thread

Cristot June 1944

Postby prussianhussaruk » 19 Mar 2017

Rob came over yesterday and we played the scenario from the Rapid Fire Battlegames book.

Table looking north towards Brouay in the distance.

Cristot looking towards the British positions. The town is held by elements of 12th SS Recce battalion.

Brouay looking towards the British positions. The town is held by the 1st Battalion 26th SS Panzer Grenadiers.

The British arrival on table, is greeted with ambush fire from a Panther.

The lead sherman is KO'd and the others dash for cover. They could not return fire as they were carrying infantry.
Not a bad start for my newly painted Panther :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Move two sees my hidden A/C miss the stuart and then get KO'd with it's return fire. I didn't realise at the time, but this was to cost me dearly later, when I realised this was the units CO :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

A brave bren carrier enters the Cristot in an attempt to draw fire. It is KO'd by a hidden Sdkfz 215/9 waiting further back in the town.

Move 4 sees reinforcements arrive for both sides. This new Panzer IV is lost in a hail of 25 pdr fire. New kit :roll: :roll:

Took another picture to make it look as if it lasted longer :blush: :blush: :blush:

Over towards Brouay, a British battalion had been making a steady advance on the town, but a particularly good round of fire saw two companies wiped out.

Over towards Cristot the British had committed another battalion to the attack. Pressure was beginning to mount on the town.

The British had a firm base along the road, but weren't making any progress in front of Cristot.

I had kept a mobile company of recce and I decided to deploy then to hold the hill to the south of Cristot. I probably should have deployed them here at the beginning of the game.

With the British battalion in front of Brouay in trouble the Panzer Grenadiers go over to the attack.

The sherman has been KO'd by a lucky long range shot from a PaK40. The British infantry have not made much progress.

The Panzer Grenadiers enter Adrieu on the British side. They are also closing in on the Sherman firefly that is engaged in a long range duel with a Panzer IV.

The M10 had been involved in the sample duel, but has come off worst.

This is the Panzer IV, assisted by a 150mm IG.

My mobile reserve had arrived it time to attempt to stop the British attack on the hill. My Sdkfz 250/1 was knocked out by the stuart I had forgotten was there :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

The German defensive artillery fire had been very effective on the British infantry attacking Cristot. Many were caught in the open by the 105mm gun fire. As you can see the battalion is very thin on the ground.

The artillery and mortar fire had been so intense on the Cristot church, that the occupying troops had had to fall back to preserve men.

The Panther was doing what it could with its limited HE fire.

My earlier mistake of loosing the recce CO, meant the unit broke on its first morale test and left the hill undefended to the British attackers.

After firing two panzerfaust and a panzerschreck at the firefly with no effect, the second shoot from the panzerschreck does the job.
There is now nothing left protecting the British left flank.

The only British forces left on this flank is the BGHQ.

The situation at the end of the game. Both remaining British battalions had taken morale tests, but the nearest one had captured Hill 102 and with it claimed a hard fought draw.

My new Panther had survived the game.

This is an excellent scenario, giving a hard fought game. Rob would like another crack at it sometime in the future.

Hope you enjoyed looking.

Don
Last edited by prussianhussaruk on 19 Mar 2017, edited 3 times in total.
Wargamming WWII in 20mm, THE TRUE SCALE.

Don McHugh - Long time English Rugby supporter.
prussianhussaruk
Dr No

Medals: 14
Flak Campaigner (1) Comms Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Recce campaigner (1) Engineer campaigner (1) 40mm Campaigner (1)
Wings Campaigner (1) Red Campaigner (1) Brit Minis 1st place (1) Plast1 2nd place (1) SandS Campaigner (1) 2010 Build 2nd place (1)
2011 Build (1) 2012 Build (1)

Re: Cristot June 1944

Postby mausmann » 19 Mar 2017

That looks tasty!..... :thumbsup:
"And this too, shall pass away..."

It was a very old platitude, even then........
mausmann
Renard

Medals: 29
Capt Campaigner (1) Comm Campaigner (1) Sur1 3rd place (1) Afloat Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Armour 1st place (1)
fortified 1st place (1) Recce 3rd place (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty Campaigner (1) Female Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1)
40mm Campaigner (1) Wings Campaigner (1) 30mm Campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1) Easter14 Campaigner (1) Ambulance campaigner (1)
dday 1st place (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Brit Minis Campaigner (1) Battle Campaigner (1) SandS 1st place (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1)
Big Game 2010 (1) 2013 Build 1st place (1) 2014 build 1st place (1) 2015 build 1st place (1) 2016 build 1st place (1)

Postby wargameroz » 19 Mar 2017

Inspirational as always
he who dies with the largest pile of unpainted figures wins
wargameroz
Goldfinger

Medals: 8
Recce campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1) AntiTank Campaigner (1) Easter14 Campaigner (1) 2013 Build (1) 2014 build (1)
2015 build campaigner (1) 2016 build campaigner (1)

Postby Bill » 20 Mar 2017

Wonderful AAR. Great pictures. :thumbsup:
Especially like the way you critiqued your own actions and how that affected the game.

Bill
Bill
Dr No

Postby hincmar » 20 Mar 2017

Great report and some lovely eye candy. It looks as though the scenario is quite a tough ask for the British.
hincmar
Largo

Medals: 3
Flak Campaigner (1) Big Game 2011 (1) xmas15 1st place (1)

Postby Alanmccoubrey » 20 Mar 2017

Looks like a fun game.
This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever.
Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

Alan
Alanmccoubrey
Kananga

Medals: 9
Capt Campaigner (1) Flak 3rd place (1) Recce campaigner (1) Leader Campaigner (1) POW Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1)
Easter14 Campaigner (1) quick campaigner (1) Terrain Campaigner (1)

Postby Poacher » 20 Mar 2017

Had a good day Saturday playing the Cristot scenario with Don...... a very hard fought draw... will hopefully upload a couple of pictures later. Don's AAR is very good, he forgot to mention his counter battery fire !! Next stop Ranville and hopefully Don's new kit won't last as long ;-).
Poacher
Mishka

Postby Richard B. » 20 Mar 2017

Great looking table, lovely AAR :yahoo:

Thanks for posting Don :thumbsup:
Richard B.
Scaramanga

Medals: 54
Capt Campaigner (1) Cav Campaigner (1) Comm Campaigner (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1) England Campaigner (1)
Flak Campaigner (1) Building Campaigner (1) Comms Campaigner (1) Photo 2nd place (1) FriendFoe Campaigner (1) Armour Campaigner (1)
Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Portrait Campaigner (1) fortified campaigner (1) Recce campaigner (1) Engineer campaigner (1) Leader Campaigner (1)
Casualty Campaigner (1) Female Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1) Winter Campaigner (1) 40mm Campaigner (1) Wings Campaigner (1)
POW Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) 30mm 3rd place (1) Red Campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1) AntiTank Campaigner (1)
Easter14 Campaigner (1) Ambulance campaigner (1) 60mm campaigner (1) dday campaigner (1) quick campaigner (1) Lib Minis Campaigner (1)
Terrain Campaigner (1) Brit Minis Campaigner (1) Plast1 Campaigner (1) Battle Campaigner (1) SandS Campaigner (1) Pendraken Campaigner (1)
Battlegroup Campaigner (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1) 2010 Build (1) 2011 Build (1) 2012 Build (1) 2013 Build (1)
xmas15 campaigner (1) xmas14 campaigner (1) 2014 build (1) 2015 build campaigner (1) 50 builds (1) 2016 build campaigner (1)

Postby Ianwill » 20 Mar 2017

Great pics and AAR, :good:
I particularly like the shot of the Stuart hiding from the stalking Panther
My club played this scenario one weekend and I would recommend this scenario. It could have gone either way and went down to the wire.

Cheers

Ian
Ianwill
Mr Osato

Postby rct75001 » 20 Mar 2017

Yay for the Panther!

Good looking game and very clear write up.

Thanks Don

Richard
Richard

http://rctlittlesoldiers.blogspot.com/

And she said to me "You haven't bought more little men have you ?"
rct75001
Dr No

Sur1 campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Armour Campaigner (1) Female Campaigner (1) Winter Campaigner (1)
Wings Campaigner (1) Easter14 Campaigner (1) Brit Minis Campaigner (1) 2010 Build (1) 2012 Build 3rd place (1) 2013 Build (1)
xmas14 campaigner (1) 2014 build (1)

Postby Powermonger » 20 Mar 2017

Very nice report!
a pleasure to read
You may be Powermonger, but I´m Powerowner
Powermonger
Dr No

Medals: 1
Recce campaigner (1)

Postby prussianhussaruk » 20 Mar 2017

Thank you everyone for looking and your kind comments.

Don
prussianhussaruk
Dr No

Flak Campaigner (1) Comms Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Recce campaigner (1) Engineer campaigner (1) 40mm Campaigner (1)
Wings Campaigner (1) Red Campaigner (1) Brit Minis 1st place (1) Plast1 2nd place (1) SandS Campaigner (1) 2010 Build 2nd place (1)
2011 Build (1) 2012 Build (1)

Return to Game reports