Artillery Questions

Artillery Questions

Postby Troy » 12 Aug 2017

As I'm looking at the rules for Artillery, some questions come to mind - since I've been playing that other game for so long, and am now switching over to BG:

1. Once my observer succeeds in his comm check, then we determine how far the target point is scattered for that turn -- there is no further "stay ranged in right on that spot" - correct? If the spotter calls in another barrage the next turn, from the same guns, the entire process is repeated again: Comms Check, Target point scatter, Fire for effect etc.?

2. If I'm using off-board 80mm with an HE effect of 4/4+ in an artillery barrage, and I get to fire for effect -- then each 6 I roll to "hit" gets me ONE chance to roll a 4+ to cause a casualty against infantry/guns... Correct?

I would only roll the 4d6 in the HE Effect rating of 4/4+ if I direct fired an on-board mortar at a unit.
Troy
Professor Dent

Re: Artillery Questions

Postby Brodir » 12 Aug 2017

1. Yep, start again, no locking arty onto a target point.

2. A direct hit (a 6) means you use the HE rating of the impact, so 4/4+ for the mortar. That's against infantry targets (and soft skinned vehicles). Use the penetration value vs an armoured vehicle's side armour rating for direct hits on them.

Hope that helps
Brodir
Dr No

Postby Troy » 12 Aug 2017

My question on #2 is how many dice I'm rolling after I roll that 6 in Fire for Effect with an off-board mortar.

Do I roll 1d6 and hope to get a 4+

Or do I roll 4d6 to get a 4+
Troy
Professor Dent

Postby Gunbird » 12 Aug 2017

4/4+ means 4 dice on a 4+ for HE.

If you roll a 6 then you roll 1 die for armour penetration for each 6 rolled.
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, travels around to get in the occasional game. Current flavour of the month - scenery frenzy! My Blog >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/
Gunbird
Stromberg

Medals: 29
Capt Campaigner (1) Arty Campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1) Scratch1 3rd place (1) England Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1)
Building 3rd place (1) FriendFoe Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty Campaigner (1) Female Campaigner (1)
Sniper 2nd place (1) Winter Campaigner (1) 40mm Campaigner (1) Wings 2nd place (1) Truck Campaigner (1) 30mm 3rd place (1)
Red Campaigner (1) Green 2nd place (1) AntiTank Campaigner (1) 60mm campaigner (1) dday 1st place (1) Lib Minis Campaigner (1)
Terrain Campaigner (1) Brit Minis Campaigner (1) SandS 2nd place (1) Big Game 2010 (1) xmas15 campaigner (1)

Return to Battlegroup Rule Questions