Alert

If your name looks like spam your account will be deleted.

1914-1918

Off table mortars / artillery

Off table mortars / artillery

Postby Lakey » 16 Mar 2017

Does purchased off table artillery / mortars work like ......
1/ Give spotter order to spot / request
2/ Normal 3+ comms check to guns
3/place marker
4/ roll deviation
5/ fire effect

Thanks in advance
Andy
Lakey
Out of work Henchman

Re: Off table mortars / artillery

Postby Piers » 16 Mar 2017

viewtopic.php?f=321&t=30869

That may help.

Yes... the observer is an order then two for a two gun battery.
 ‘Landed. Killed Germans. F***ed off.’ - Major Anders Lassen's operational report to the Admiralty.
'...its not a realistic expectation, that you can use a tank as a sort of big 'fruit-squashing' machine' - Woz
Piers
Dominic Greene

Medals: 41
Capt Campaigner (1) Cav Campaigner (1) Arty 1st place (1) Comm 2nd place (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1)
England Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Comms Campaigner (1) Armour 3rd place (1) Terrain2 1st place (1) fortified 1st place (1)
Recce 2nd place (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty 1st place (1) Female Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1) 40mm 2nd place (1)
Wings Campaigner (1) POW Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) 30mm 1st place (1) Red Campaigner (1) Green 1st place (1)
AntiTank Campaigner (1) Easter14 2nd place (1) 60mm 2nd place (1) Lib Minis 1st (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Brit Minis 2nd place (1)
Scen1 Campaigner (1) Big Game 2010 (1) 2010 Build (1) 2011 Build (1) 2012 Build (1) 2013 Build 3rd place (1)
xmas15 2nd place (1) xmas14 campaigner (1) 2014 build 3rd place (1) 2015 build 2nd place (1) 2016 build 2nd place (1)

Postby Lakey » 16 Mar 2017

So even if off table there is no need for a priority roll as the mortars/ guns have been assigned to assist your Forces? I think not but this got a bit of a heated debate last night
Lakey
Out of work Henchman

Postby Powermonger » 16 Mar 2017

No, no need to roll pririty checks if you purchased the guns to support your force exclusively. That's why they are so expensive.
Artillery support fire requests, on the other hand are cheap, but you must roll priority checks.

Tip: before purchasing ad-hoc artillery support (the expensive one) try to estimate the average number of orders you will get per turn. And if that average would allow to move your forces AND expend 3 orders per turn (at least) on artillery fire at the same time.

If not, you are expending a huge amount of points on off-board assets that would not see much use nor give you any BR.
You may be Powermonger, but I´m Powerowner
Powermonger
Mayday

Medals: 1
Recce campaigner (1)

Postby Ray » 16 Mar 2017

As the guy's say,no need. Was the other fella having a bad day.
SOTCW 118
Ray Haskins
Fulltime figure painter.
No Job too small or big.
10% Discount to fellow Guilders.
Ray
Blofeld

Medals: 6
Armour Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Recce campaigner (1) Ambulance campaigner (1) quick campaigner (1) 2015 build campaigner (1)

Postby Brodir » 16 Mar 2017

There are, in effect, 4 ways to purchase artillery

1. On table guns dedicated to your battlegroup, (ie models on tabletop). Purchased from Artillery (or a mortar from Platoon support).

2. Off table guns dedicated to your battlegroup, (ie no models on tabletop). Purchased from Artillery (and the most expensive way to do it).

3. Timed Barrages, turn up on a preset turn at a pre-set point. No spotter required, they just hit.

4. Priority Requests, which you have to roll for and then a comms test to get random guns from various levels up the chain of command.

You can mix and match or go for just 1 type. Some are reliable, others not so much.
Brodir
Dr No

Postby zippyzed zoom » 17 Mar 2017

I like this defensive combo: 2 prtp using 2 off-table batteries with harassment fire, 60" coverage, expensive but bogs advances down. Static forces allow for plenty of spare orders. Using forward aid post to bump BR and mines to plug gaps.
zippyzed zoom
Professor Dent

Postby Treadwell » 19 Mar 2017

By choice I favour off table mortar fire from bigger 120mm /4.2 mortars. Combined with timed barrages which are cheap but inflexible. Just made my PSC 25 pounders so I am going to try them out as on table support next time.
"I've seen rough times but this is the worst. My whole squadrons had it. I'm going up with a tommy gun to fight with the Carleton and Yorks"
Treadwell
Mr Osato

Postby wargameroz » 19 Mar 2017

With a 27 foot long table ALL my artillery is on table, even the off table support. I'm currently working on 2 5.5inch guns and a 7.2 for my Brits, and I have the Milicast Long Tom but with the 8 inch barrel got the Brits. My late war Germans have 2 15cm pieces for support, when AB do the crew I'll probably get 2 more and my Soviets have 122's and 152's. Yanks just have 2 155's M 1's but if AB ever do a Long Tom crew I'll add a couple just for the heck of it
he who dies with the largest pile of unpainted figures wins
wargameroz
Goldfinger

Medals: 8
Recce campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1) AntiTank Campaigner (1) Easter14 Campaigner (1) 2013 Build (1) 2014 build (1)
2015 build campaigner (1) 2016 build campaigner (1)

Postby Pedro » 20 Mar 2017

Hi

This raises an interesting question. A Panzer Division has mortar spotters. Can these make an "Off-Table Artillery Request" and then try for the Regimental Battery (3+ comms test) which consists of only mtrs. I am not sure where the Regimental Artillery is, or on what net and am not keen on getting tied up in "in support", "in direct support", "on call" and so on.

Clearly he can not use the Div Arty, but can he get to the mtrs in Regt Arty?

One can also be confused by different army systems.

Pedro
Pedro
Rosa Klebb

Postby Treadwell » 20 Mar 2017

Regardless of where the mortars are on or off table the mortar spotter can spot for them. But he has to have purchased those mortars for one of the sources. If the support list dice role option has been bought then he could stick to the regt option 2+. Can't see a problem with that.
Treadwell
Mr Osato

Return to Battlegroup Rule Questions