Humour me..theres a Maus in the house

Humour me..theres a Maus in the house

Postby Rubbsalot » 18 Jul 2017

Hello everyone,

Ive been playing BG for a couple of years now whilst introducing my 13year old son into the hobby. He is a great player now and also a gifted modeller compared to me at his age!

As a reward for weeding the garden he requested and got the new Zvezda Maus kit which he has built and painted. Now he has an idea for a (obviously fictional) scenario.

His scenario is based on using an abandoned prototype of the Maus as an objective with bonus points if you can tow it to a safe area (he is 13 guys). Another scenario sees it in action.

Any idea on stats for the beast? Or special rules even?

Moreover...how many tanks would it take to pull it? (we have no engineer vehicles yet)
Sounds fun but your help would be appreciated!
Please visit my wargaming blog at https://rubbsalotsmancave.blogspot.co.uk/
Rubbsalot
Three Blind Mice

Re: Humour me..theres a Maus in the house

Postby Piers » 18 Jul 2017

Unique, restricted and Unreliable!

Guns are easy...

Just use the armour stats for a Jagdtiger +1?

You wouldn't use a tank to tow it... A Tiger I ideally required three FAMO for towing so...
 ‘Landed. Killed Germans. F***ed off.’ - Major Anders Lassen's operational report to the Admiralty.
'...its not a realistic expectation, that you can use a tank as a sort of big 'fruit-squashing' machine' - Woz
Piers
Dominic Greene

Medals: 42
Capt Campaigner (1) Cav Campaigner (1) Arty 1st place (1) Comm 2nd place (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1)
England Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Comms Campaigner (1) Armour 3rd place (1) Terrain2 1st place (1) fortified 1st place (1)
Recce 2nd place (1) Engineer 3rd place (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty 1st place (1) Female Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1)
40mm 2nd place (1) Wings Campaigner (1) POW Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) 30mm 1st place (1) Red Campaigner (1)
Green 1st place (1) AntiTank Campaigner (1) Easter14 2nd place (1) 60mm 2nd place (1) Lib Minis 1st (1) Terrain Campaigner (1)
Brit Minis 2nd place (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1) Big Game 2010 (1) 2010 Build (1) 2011 Build (1) 2012 Build (1)
2013 Build 3rd place (1) xmas15 2nd place (1) xmas14 campaigner (1) 2014 build 3rd place (1) 2015 build 2nd place (1) 2016 build 2nd place (1)

Postby Greebs » 18 Jul 2017

Could the Famo shift more than a Bergepanther? Were they just for recovery under fire or something?
Greebs
Dr No

Medals: 6
Armour Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) 60mm campaigner (1) xmas15 campaigner (1) xmas14 campaigner (1) 2015 build campaigner (1)

Postby 7dot62mm » 18 Jul 2017

Kudos to the young man for coming up with an interesting, realistic scenario (instead of say pitting the Maus against 25 T-34s) :hello:

In general a tank can be fairly comfortably towed over level terrain by another tank of similar weight (this also works for three Sd.Kfz 9s towing one Tiger I). So in the scenario I'd say the German player needs to come up with a total of 188 tons of tracked or half-tracked towing vehicles, plus some extra sturdy towing cables or towing bars but I'm sure the Germans would have designed such for the Maus :grin:

On a road 2/3rds of the weight of the vehicle being towed should suffice:

7dot62mm
Dr No

Medals: 14
Afloat Campaigner (1) Armour Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Recce campaigner (1) Engineer campaigner (1) Female Campaigner (1)
quick campaigner (1) Lib Minis Campaigner (1) Plast1 Campaigner (1) xmas15 campaigner (1) xmas14 campaigner (1) easter15 campaigner (1)
2015 build campaigner (1) 2016 build campaigner (1)

Postby Rubbsalot » 18 Jul 2017

Fantastic! thanks gentlemen, Ill let you know how it goes, game is planned for this saturday at the local wargames club.
Rubbsalot
Three Blind Mice

Postby etranger » 18 Jul 2017

The answer seems to be 6 Famos...

From http://www.themodellingnews.com/2017/05 ... -tank.html
etranger
Mayday

Medals: 15
Afloat Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Building Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Casualty Campaigner (1) Winter Campaigner (1)
Wings Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1) 2010 Build (1) 2011 Build (1)
2012 Build (1) 2015 build campaigner (1) 2016 build campaigner (1)

Postby wolflord » 18 Jul 2017

The Bergepanther had a 40t winch, but with a pulley tackle up to 120t could be pulled.

Greetings
Wolflord
“Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”
Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant
wolflord
Helga Brandt

Postby 7dot62mm » 18 Jul 2017

wolflord wrote:The Bergepanther had a 40t winch, but with a pulley tackle up to 120t could be pulled.

It's also curious how - in real life - if you were to try and pull a 40-ton vehicle from a ditch using the Bergepanther to pull sans winch you might well fail. However if you use the winch you will most often succeed.
7dot62mm
Dr No

Medals: 14
Afloat Campaigner (1) Armour Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Recce campaigner (1) Engineer campaigner (1) Female Campaigner (1)
quick campaigner (1) Lib Minis Campaigner (1) Plast1 Campaigner (1) xmas15 campaigner (1) xmas14 campaigner (1) easter15 campaigner (1)
2015 build campaigner (1) 2016 build campaigner (1)

Postby dadlamassu » 18 Jul 2017

If he is as devious as my 10 year old grandson the Maus will be a cunning Soviet cardboard and plywood decoy and the real one will be something like ...

dadlamassu
Dr No

Medals: 39
Comm Campaigner (1) England Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Building Campaigner (1) Comms Campaigner (1) Photo Campaigner (1)
FriendFoe Campaigner (1) Armour Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Portrait Campaigner (1) fortified campaigner (1) Recce campaigner (1)
Engineer campaigner (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1) 40mm Campaigner (1) Wings Campaigner (1)
POW Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) Red Campaigner (1) AntiTank Campaigner (1) Easter14 Campaigner (1) Ambulance campaigner (1)
60mm campaigner (1) quick campaigner (1) Plast1 Campaigner (1) Battlegroup Campaigner (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1) 2010 Build (1)
2011 Build (1) 2012 Build (1) 2013 Build (1) xmas15 3rd place (1) xmas14 campaigner (1) 2014 build (1)
easter15 campaigner (1) 2015 build campaigner (1) 2016 build campaigner (1)

Postby Rubbsalot » 19 Jul 2017

I love that, brilliant :)
Rubbsalot
Three Blind Mice

Postby gebhk » 19 Jul 2017

A very mature, thought-provoking scenario! I love this sort of realistic inventiveness.

If the objective is towing the vehicle away, then knackering the running gear should suffice to scupper the German plans. This should probably be easier than the usual attempts to penetrate the armour and thereby destroy.

Can the prototype be gassed up (and even armed/supplied with ammo) as an alternative to towing?

What propaganda benefits can be gleaned from this action by both sides? - an excuse to bring on army photographers, cameramen and the like? And here is tomorrow's news: Using an elephant gun to shoot a Maus.

Good luck with the game - I would love to see more of this sort of thing at Wargames shows.

Bestest
K
gebhk
Mr Kidd

Postby dead1 » 20 Jul 2017

And a similar play on the scenario idea is real life recovery of one of the first Tigers lost around Leningrad in 1942! Swampy ground at that to make life pleasant for all.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/leningrad-tiger-gilberto-villahermosa
dead1
Mayday

Medals: 1
2014 build (1)

Postby Rubbsalot » 16 Aug 2017

Hello again chaps

Sorry for the delay, i've been away on holibobs (Bovington amongst other places!)

Anyway, I managed to make a blog in order to bring you a battle report.

i'd love it if you could take a look at it over here

https://rubbsalotsmancave.blogspot.co.uk/

Feel free to leave some advice and feedback on how it went and how i can improve future batreps.

Many thanks
Rubbsalot
Three Blind Mice

Postby Powermonger » 17 Aug 2017

Absolutely great AAR!! Very nice read & photos!
You may be Powermonger, but I´m Powerowner
Powermonger
Dr No

Medals: 1
Recce campaigner (1)

Postby Piers » 17 Aug 2017

That's epic! :)
Piers
Dominic Greene

Medals: 42
Capt Campaigner (1) Cav Campaigner (1) Arty 1st place (1) Comm 2nd place (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1)
England Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Comms Campaigner (1) Armour 3rd place (1) Terrain2 1st place (1) fortified 1st place (1)
Recce 2nd place (1) Engineer 3rd place (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty 1st place (1) Female Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1)
40mm 2nd place (1) Wings Campaigner (1) POW Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) 30mm 1st place (1) Red Campaigner (1)
Green 1st place (1) AntiTank Campaigner (1) Easter14 2nd place (1) 60mm 2nd place (1) Lib Minis 1st (1) Terrain Campaigner (1)
Brit Minis 2nd place (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1) Big Game 2010 (1) 2010 Build (1) 2011 Build (1) 2012 Build (1)
2013 Build 3rd place (1) xmas15 2nd place (1) xmas14 campaigner (1) 2014 build 3rd place (1) 2015 build 2nd place (1) 2016 build 2nd place (1)

Postby Cimmerian » 17 Aug 2017

Great report on a good looking game.
It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.

Regards, Ken
Cimmerian
General Orlov

Medals: 2
quick campaigner (1) 2016 build campaigner (1)

Postby Rubbsalot » 17 Aug 2017

Glad you liked it, many thanks!
Rubbsalot
Three Blind Mice

Postby Fitz » 17 Aug 2017

That was a very entertaining report on what looked like a really fun game. :)
Fitz
Mayday

Postby gebhk » 18 Aug 2017

Excellent and highly entertaining report. Don't change a thing in your report writing.

On the game itself I find the use of a corps or army-level gun in the front line of a skirmish a little odd. These things took some time to set up and by the time it was, either the crew would have been wiped out and the gun captured, or the battle would have gone the other way and would have been long out of sight by the time the weapon was ready to fire. However I am just being pedantic and if it makes for a more enjoyable game then why not?

Tanks were usually wired for self-destruction to prevent them falling intact into enemy hands. Perhaps that could be woven in the scenario? Will they/won't they blow it in time? Will they/won't they blow themselves up disarming it? It would give the Soviet pioneers a realistic job to do. The scenario could also be put on its head and have the Soviets towing a captured Maus away while the Germans mount a recovery operation. That could reasonably allow better quality troops with more armour for the Germans and give those lovely Komintern, Voroshilovets and Stalinets tracked tractors a workout :good:

I'm sooo tempted to adapt this great scenario for personal use. Fly in the ointment is that the little gaming I do do, is 1939ish and a 4TP does not have quite the same impact as a Maus, does it? :cry:
gebhk
Mr Kidd

Postby Rubbsalot » 19 Aug 2017

Many thanks for the feedback and suggestions!

You could try an armoured train for Poland '39 perhaps?

I love your idea for rigging the Maus with explosive, we may just have to adopt that idea.

As for the huge gun, my son saw it used in direct support in documentaries about the battle of Berlin and as its allowed in the army list just couldn't resist it. It sure looks good and has the "rule of cool" about it. It was a sitting duck, i just had nothing to shoot it with from where he deployed it.
Rubbsalot
Three Blind Mice

Next

Return to Battlegroup Discussion