Attacker advice

Attacker advice

Postby thebigandyt » 05 Jun 2017

Hi all

I'm looking a bit of advice, I'm really struggling to use the Barbarossa Germans as an attacking force. They don't seem to be able to shift Russians out of defensive positions. I find it hard getting up close quickly as the squads are so slow to move and at turn four I'm usually pinned to heck and then overrun by a million tanks all stalstaling. I though arty might be the answer but it doesn't seem to be able to crack open bunkers. I had some flamethrower but the hanomag carrying it went up in smoke very quickly
thebigandyt
Out of work Henchman

Re: Attacker advice

Postby Powermonger » 05 Jun 2017

Hi: here my tips!

- First rule of attacking force: Concentrate. Do not attack on a broad front. Just concentrate all your forces on one flank. Your main advantage is setting up second, after the defender has set up. So, you can choose carefully after seeing his forces.

- Timed Barrages + Timed stuka: buy a barrage or 2. And a stuka strike. Put them over his defences (you are able to see them). Time them at the beginning. just turn 1 or 2.

- Against bunkers: just buy a sniper or two. Best anti-bunker weapon. If there are any deployed guns in there, they are quite dead. Any casualty would make them roll for moral, which they would fail on a 1-2 result (deployed gun morale table is very weak)

- Stal Stal Stal is pesky. But it´s only of use at the distance. Wait for them with your tanks. Do not open at long range. Wait for them in ambush. Buy PzIIIH´s or PzIVE´s if possible.

- Do not step into known soviet PRT´s. Once known, avoid them with clever use of reserve move orders.

- In larger games, buy the Wurfrahmen battery. It´s a bargain for such awesome firepower

- Use your infantry in 251/1´s wisely to rapidly take objectives. Also if you don´t care much for history (i care, so i do not use them) , use them for MG support at a distance. It´s a pintle MG (40´range) with 5 firepower. And they are also a bargain.

Just my 2 cents.

PS: there were no flamthrower hanomags in Barbie. Buy a flammingo instead.

Regards,

Diego
You may be Powermonger, but I´m Powerowner
Powermonger
Dr No

Medals: 1
Recce campaigner (1)

Postby NTM » 05 Jun 2017

Think he was referring to pioneer squad with flamethrower option in the back of a Hanomag rather than a 251/16.
NTM
Largo

Medals: 8
30mm Campaigner (1) Red Campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1) 60mm campaigner (1) 2013 Build (1) xmas15 campaigner (1)
xmas14 campaigner (1) easter15 campaigner (1)

yes it was the pioneer squad i was using

but that's great advice thanks for all the pointers, definitely quality of spreading my forces too thin. i've been on the receiving end of a couple of nasty barrages and tend to spread out. must give the snipers a go
thebigandyt
Out of work Henchman

sorry a wee question on snipers, i havent used them before

does the range of the rifle just follow a normal rifle? also does the counts as being in the open rule apply to both the spotting and cover saves?
thebigandyt
Out of work Henchman

Postby Nazrat » 05 Jun 2017

The sniper has a normal 30" range unless you buy a spotter, which then pops it up to 40" (well worth the 5 points). All scouts get a +1 to spot, and if they hit then their target always saves on a 6. Oh, and don't forget the new rule that gives the sniper a further -1 to be spotted by the enemy!

Jerry
Nazrat
Pussy Galore

Postby Brodir » 05 Jun 2017

Digging out defenders is hard work, you'll need the right weapons for the job. having just had a similar game, digging out Germans in 1945, heavy HE, flamethrowers and a willingness to use messy close assualts... defenders BR is usual lower than the attackers (the defences bring little), so attritionally, you can break them. Smaller HE (75/76mm) is something of waste of time, it just doesn't cut it... that's what the support tanks and assault guns are for... when it hits it hurts. early ear this isn't a option, but you can drag up a few of the arty guns for direct fire, 105s or even 155s soon pound trench lines to dirt. My Russian 122s do that job... or aim to collapse fortified buildings.
Brodir
Dr No

Return to Battlegroup Discussion