Size of Objektives

Size of Objektives

Postby wolflord » 19 May 2017

What is the size for objektives in your games? I have several Flames of War Objektives, which have a size of 6,5cm x 5cm. A friend of mine use small round markers only 1,5cm in diameter.

Greetings
Wolflord
“Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”
Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant
wolflord
Helga Brandt

Re: Size of Objektives

Postby Fitz » 19 May 2017

We don't really use objective markers as such. Our objectives tend to be control of things like buildings or terrain features, or actions such as destroying a bridge (or preventing it from being destroyed).
Fitz
Mayday

Postby Powermonger » 19 May 2017

We also use buildings or road junctions. On ocassions, also a wrecked vehicle.
You may be Powermonger, but I´m Powerowner
Powermonger
Dr No

Medals: 1
Recce campaigner (1)

Postby Brodir » 19 May 2017

No set size, just a point on the table or a terrain feature. Sometimes we mark the point with a wreck or other detritus (even a haystack and a tree once). Don't need to mark buildings really... can remember that.
Brodir
Dr No

Postby dead1 » 19 May 2017

We have some old Flames Of War large bases that have been tarted up. We do try to be as realistic as possible in placing them - crossroads, roads, buildings, tops of hills, river crossings etc
dead1
Mayday

Medals: 1
2014 build (1)

Postby Carlson793 » 26 May 2017

For Tobruk, I've got a couple terrain pieces with Zvezda 'Art of Tactics' vehicle flags stuck in them: one's a 'small' dune, the other a desert cemetery. Planning to use a spare FoW StuG hull as the basis of a decoy tank for a third desert objective.

Carlson793
Out of work Henchman

Postby Ray » 26 May 2017

Just a point of terrain,hill,wood a building.
SOTCW 118
Ray Haskins
Fulltime figure painter.
No Job too small or big.
10% Discount to fellow Guilders.
Ray
Kananga

Medals: 6
Armour Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Recce campaigner (1) Ambulance campaigner (1) quick campaigner (1) 2015 build campaigner (1)

Postby wolflord » 27 May 2017

Nice idee Carlson793, reminds me of the PC game "Combat Mission".

As i see, most of you use a terrain feature as objective. How do you measure the distance to check if an objective is captured?
Do you use the outer limits of the terrain (the outer walls of a building for example) or do you use a point in the middle?

Greetings
Wolflord
wolflord
Helga Brandt

Postby Carlson793 » 02 Jun 2017

@wolflord: I think it comes down to the objective marker itself, and the mission parameters. In the case of the flagged hill in my pic, I'd say it's small enough that the whole terrain piece counts, while with the grave yard, I'd suggest just the flag (maybe there's some intel hidden in that pile). Then again, controlling an entire enemy cemetery would be a big blow to their morale...
Carlson793
Out of work Henchman

Return to Battlegroup Discussion