Alert

If your name looks like spam your account will be deleted.

1914-1918

Battlegroup's WWI ?

Battlegroup's WWI ?

Postby patrokles » 09 Mar 2017

Looking for 8th Army unpainted figures in my collection with an intention to prepare them for playing "Tobruk" I found an old box fulfilled with WWI figures. It was covered by a thick layer of dust. One blow created a small "dust storm" and my first breath after that almost immediately let me feel What Indiana Jones had felt in the Well of Souls :hello: And then I suddenly realized that I can play WWI infantry fightings just using Battlegroup rules for infantry :shock: So simple to have some more good fun :clapping:
But ... to get a better feeling of historical wargaming would be necessary something more :scratch: So, I've got an idea: Would it be possible to create a small Battlegroup WWI wargaming system ... let's say with two simple infantry structures ... for the Western Front (British & Germans) ... few special rules plus the fighting mechanism from Battlegroup ? And I'm not thinking on an another book but on an article in a new issue of the Dispatches ... just for beginning ... ;)
Gentlemen,
What do you think ?
:wave:
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.

George S. Patton
patrokles
Tee Hee

Medals: 1
Recce campaigner (1)

Re: Battlegroup's WWI ?

Postby Piers » 09 Mar 2017

I need to find some good 20mm WW1 figures..
 ‘Landed. Killed Germans. F***ed off.’ - Major Anders Lassen's operational report to the Admiralty.
'...its not a realistic expectation, that you can use a tank as a sort of big 'fruit-squashing' machine' - Woz
Piers
Dominic Greene

Medals: 41
Capt Campaigner (1) Cav Campaigner (1) Arty 1st place (1) Comm 2nd place (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1)
England Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Comms Campaigner (1) Armour 3rd place (1) Terrain2 1st place (1) fortified 1st place (1)
Recce 2nd place (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty 1st place (1) Female Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1) 40mm 2nd place (1)
Wings Campaigner (1) POW Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) 30mm 1st place (1) Red Campaigner (1) Green 1st place (1)
AntiTank Campaigner (1) Easter14 2nd place (1) 60mm 2nd place (1) Lib Minis 1st (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Brit Minis 2nd place (1)
Scen1 Campaigner (1) Big Game 2010 (1) 2010 Build (1) 2011 Build (1) 2012 Build (1) 2013 Build 3rd place (1)
xmas15 2nd place (1) xmas14 campaigner (1) 2014 build 3rd place (1) 2015 build 2nd place (1) 2016 build 2nd place (1)

Postby patrokles » 09 Mar 2017

Piers wrote:I need to find some good 20mm WW1 figures..

... my favourite WWI plastic figures are from EMHAR ... they also offer some WWI tanks ... but this topic will be covered in the Dispaches issue No. 4 :P
patrokles
Tee Hee

Recce campaigner (1)

Postby Ilkahn » 10 Mar 2017

Piers wrote:I need to find some good 20mm WW1 figures..

I have aprox 30 boxes of german and american airfix WW1 that i purchased when i was in my teens. Can't believe i still have them.
Ilkahn
Oddjob

Postby Number4 » 20 Apr 2017

The new Hat figures for the BEF and German Jagers are very nice: late war Emhar Americans Revell Germans and AIrfix French and the Emhar artillery sets are all excellent and the 18pdr, French 75 and German 77 are all covered in early WWII data lists. Figure scale works well at 1:10 with the smallest unit being a platoon represented by a base of four figures. We can do this! :grin:
Number4
Gruntha

Postby patrokles » 20 Apr 2017

Number4 wrote:The new Hat figures for the BEF and German Jagers are very nice: late war Emhar Americans Revell Germans and AIrfix French and the Emhar artillery sets are all excellent and the 18pdr, French 75 and German 77 are all covered in early WWII data lists. Figure scale works well at 1:10 with the smallest unit being a platoon represented by a base of four figures. We can do this! :grin:

That's true. There is almost everything on the market to play Western and Eastern Front as well :grin: There are even sets which would be allowing playing Gallipolli's Campaign. With the Number4's idea there is a chance to recreate pretty big battles - Battalion or even Regiment level. But my favourite type of a skirmish game is a small infantry encounter. That's why i wrote that the Battlegroup's Rules are easily modifiable :ugeek: Imagine ...
... Two Infantry Platoons supported by MMG and Gun Teams aproaching from opposide sides a destroyed village in the centre of a table. Uneven terrain heavily bombed two days ago is slowing down the Infantry but helps to hide the creaping soldiers. The British Commander, Lt. Smith with his huge waxed moustaches decided to split his platoon into sections and take the village from three sides at the same time. But a skinny German Commander Lt. Muller with a monocle in his righ eye decided to enter straight into the middle of the ruined village with all his forces ... A fierce battle has begun ... Two moves later ... on the opposite sides of the table two sloppy objects revealed it's presents. Slowly, making a huge noise in a cloud of smoke, two monsters started to close to each other ...

:P
patrokles
Tee Hee

Recce campaigner (1)

Postby Fitz » 20 Apr 2017

Are the two sloppy monsters making a huge noise in a cloud of smoke the wargamers? :grin:
Fitz
Mayday

Postby patrokles » 20 Apr 2017

Fitz wrote:Are the two sloppy monsters making a huge noise in a cloud of smoke the wargamers? :grin:

Yes ... but the balcony's window is open all the time ... The fresh city's smog enters my small flat easily .... The Goddess of War ... my wife ... can come back home at any moment ... that's a war ... the risk is a part of this business ...
:P
patrokles
Tee Hee

Recce campaigner (1)

Return to Battlegroup Discussion