Alert

If your name looks like spam your account will be deleted.

1914-1918

admin question - army builder

admin question - army builder

Postby Ilkahn » 25 Feb 2017

Just for kicks and because I've absolutely no common sense I have purchased Army Builder software. I am in the very very very beginning process of attempting to build BGK data. I have several links to websites to add for players to find more information and I would like to include this one.

Other than that, wish me luck as its been years since I've built data bases and i'll need to learn this software which i'm probably biting off a bit more than I care to at the moment. I'll give her hell trying though. Assuming I get this set up in a timely enough manner i'll work at adding the others as I get them.

The reason I ask is because I know a few of you gents seem to have business connections to this site and it seems quite professional. I just want to be respectful of the site you all have built.
Ilkahn
Oddjob

Re: admin question - army builder

Postby Staxer » 25 Feb 2017

Good Luck army builder is a solid platform
Staxer
Dr No

Medals: 13
Capt Campaigner (1) Comm Campaigner (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1) Scratch1 Campaigner (1) Leader Campaigner (1)
Casualty Campaigner (1) Female Campaigner (1) Lib Minis Campaigner (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Brit Minis Campaigner (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1)
Big Game 2010 (1)

Postby Piers » 25 Feb 2017

Can I ask what army list data is required to be inputted into the Army Builder programme?

Because if the lists are entered in their entirety into a software programme... why would a player need the associated book?

Perhaps you could drop me a PM to discuss what data entry is involved for the software before starting work.
 ‘Landed. Killed Germans. F***ed off.’ - Major Anders Lassen's operational report to the Admiralty.
'...its not a realistic expectation, that you can use a tank as a sort of big 'fruit-squashing' machine' - Woz
Piers
Dominic Greene

Medals: 41
Capt Campaigner (1) Cav Campaigner (1) Arty 1st place (1) Comm 2nd place (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1)
England Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Comms Campaigner (1) Armour 3rd place (1) Terrain2 1st place (1) fortified 1st place (1)
Recce 2nd place (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty 1st place (1) Female Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1) 40mm 2nd place (1)
Wings Campaigner (1) POW Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) 30mm 1st place (1) Red Campaigner (1) Green 1st place (1)
AntiTank Campaigner (1) Easter14 2nd place (1) 60mm 2nd place (1) Lib Minis 1st (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Brit Minis 2nd place (1)
Scen1 Campaigner (1) Big Game 2010 (1) 2010 Build (1) 2011 Build (1) 2012 Build (1) 2013 Build 3rd place (1)
xmas15 2nd place (1) xmas14 campaigner (1) 2014 build 3rd place (1) 2015 build 2nd place (1) 2016 build 2nd place (1)

Postby Mathew@WarTime » 25 Feb 2017

I have used Army Builder quite a bit. It has been around for years. A good idea.

Yes Piers you still need the books. The program is there to allow you to build your force, weapons and stats, that is all. You print it on A4.

For me it is just a reference and allows me to lay out my force in an organised manner with appropriate stats there. I still have all the rule books, supplements and associated bits as required.

You cannot play the game with just an Army Builder list. It also does not explain all the special rules or anything like that, for 40k it will give a title/bonus then page reference to the relevant codex etc.

40k, KOW, AOS, BA and many more are all on there.
Mathew@WarTime
Pussy Galore

Medals: 3
Capt Campaigner (1) Cav Campaigner (1) Arty Campaigner (1)

Postby Piers » 25 Feb 2017

Cool... never looked at it to be honest.

Thouh we dont allow full sets of stats to be shared in online army builder programmes at present. So I wonder if it can be done without including the vehicle and gun stats and the unit composition... same as the exisitng Battlegroup Builder thats online.
Piers
Dominic Greene

Capt Campaigner (1) Cav Campaigner (1) Arty 1st place (1) Comm 2nd place (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1)
England Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Comms Campaigner (1) Armour 3rd place (1) Terrain2 1st place (1) fortified 1st place (1)
Recce 2nd place (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty 1st place (1) Female Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1) 40mm 2nd place (1)
Wings Campaigner (1) POW Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) 30mm 1st place (1) Red Campaigner (1) Green 1st place (1)
AntiTank Campaigner (1) Easter14 2nd place (1) 60mm 2nd place (1) Lib Minis 1st (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Brit Minis 2nd place (1)
Scen1 Campaigner (1) Big Game 2010 (1) 2010 Build (1) 2011 Build (1) 2012 Build (1) 2013 Build 3rd place (1)
xmas15 2nd place (1) xmas14 campaigner (1) 2014 build 3rd place (1) 2015 build 2nd place (1) 2016 build 2nd place (1)

Postby Ilkahn » 25 Feb 2017

You also must PURCHASE army builder to use it. It's not a free to all programme like battlegroup builder available . Once finished the output should pretty much mirror what is currently available online for BG. This would simply allow other users to assist and maintain the builder if they desire. The only biggest thing to me is this will tell you the models needed vs what is available.

But without the books you still couldn't play the game. Play at it like I did at first, but the books are critical to understanding and enjoying the game.
Ilkahn
Oddjob

Postby Piers » 26 Feb 2017

Yer... But buying Army Builder doesn't help make more books. ;)

It's something I will have to investigate further and see what the copyright implications are.
Piers
Dominic Greene

Postby Mathew@WarTime » 26 Feb 2017

I imagine if there were any GW would have been all over it years ago.
Mathew@WarTime
Pussy Galore

Medals: 3
Capt Campaigner (1) Cav Campaigner (1) Arty Campaigner (1)

Postby Ilkahn » 26 Feb 2017

Piers wrote:Yer... But buying Army Builder doesn't help make more books. ;)

It's something I will have to investigate further and see what the copyright implications are.

I fully understand the concerns about the business side of the equation. Battlegroup shows a great amount of built into it and those gentlemen need monetized because I want to see more of it :thumbsup: .

Most everyone including myself uses online rosters to gather their army lists. Not a single one of those games are played without the books as a list doesn't give you the rules that govern your units, the orders, movement, firing resolutions, to hit calculations, damage if applicable, cover saves and or penalties, and a more than I can think of off the top of my head.

Just my humble opinion, but I really don't see why PSC or whomever is behind BattleGroup doesn't put the tools out there for everyone to use. Warlord it appears has someone already putting the files out for games they are releasing, and it's certainly not slowing their sales, WL is claiming they are overrun. Below is the evidence, and I see it's resurgence at our hobby shop.

http://www.armybuilderdatafiles.me/copy ... formation/

their list of lists lol

http://www.armybuilderdatafiles.me/downloads/

The conclusion to my point of view is that publications current and future (of any major gaming system) that do not have the capacity to offer digital force building may forfeit sales in comparison to competitors. I'm old by the standards of most of our local hobby shop attendees and most of them have their army lists for whichever game they are playing on their tablets.

Think i'll go have a beer now, my head hurts from todays failures :lol:
Ilkahn
Oddjob

Postby Piers » 26 Feb 2017

The problem is you are comparing apples to oranges to a degree...

Warlord and GW can afford to risk losing print revenue by giving lists away for 'free' as they make their money from vast model and figure ranges. Books are of little revenue in comparison, so for them, using Army Builder to increase the player base at the expense of print sales makes sense as they recoup even more on figures and on associated pick up sales.

However you simply can't put Ironfist, a two man publishing outfit, in the same category. We don't have a figure line to make sales on. All our funding for books comes from book sales. If this revenue stream slows or decreases, it directly effects the chances to do more books and to reprint books. Of course this is purely speculation. I could be wrong and it could have the opposite effect of increasing sales...

So I'm afraid it may not be as simple as putting stuff out there to just increase a player base. We have to be careful what material is given away at no gain, in order to protect the game system for all those who have already bought into it. Increasing the player base does little if we find we can't make more books to inspire and drive on our players. But of course if that increase player base buys the books too... then it's a win-win. But I don't know what the effect will be and I have to assess the risk factors involved.

Again, I'm not against having Battlegroup files available on Army Builder, but I have to make sure it's done in a manner that protects the game systems future both for us, in terms of continued book creation, and in regards our existing players who have already bought into the game and supported us this far.
Piers
Dominic Greene

Postby Ilkahn » 27 Feb 2017

I see now.

I simply believed that PSC was the business force behind Battlegroup, but they I guess are actually an end user to Ironfist publishing. I thought this because that is what appeared the business model to me. Print a rule book and sell a bunch of models, but I suppose that may not be so profitable for 15 and 20mm ranges since there are a large range of manufacturers to contend with. Although I buy a BUNCH of PSC models because I thought they owned the gaming system :lol: .

Interesting subject to me and I appreciate your time, information, and explanations. I'm reviewing my Normandy book and I think i'm starting to understand some concerns. I only have the Kursk and Normandy books which granted are covered by the current online army builder but it's not being maintained which is what launched me on this idea of lunacy. :doh:
Ilkahn
Oddjob

Postby Lakey » 10 Mar 2017

You could easily create an army builder with an excel spreadsheet. It would take a few weeks but I'm sure it can be done
Lakey
Out of work Henchman

Postby NTM » 11 Mar 2017

Lakey wrote:You could easily create an army builder with an excel spreadsheet. It would take a few weeks but I'm sure it can be done

I started on one a few years back but Greg's site appeared before I finished. May have another go one day.
NTM
Goldfinger

Medals: 8
30mm Campaigner (1) Red Campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1) 60mm campaigner (1) 2013 Build (1) xmas15 campaigner (1)
xmas14 campaigner (1) easter15 campaigner (1)

Postby Lakey » 11 Mar 2017

GW did an Army builder programme a good few years back It was only available on CD I recall and No where near as versitile as the Lonewolf one
Lakey
Out of work Henchman

Postby Ilkahn » 14 Mar 2017

I can asure you i'm swallowing lots of water. This project is by no means as simple as i thought it should have been. I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of general force structure which once you put it to pen and paper in order to apply a heirarchy so you can make it program friendly makes my head hurt.

I'm actually glad i started this as it's taught me a GREAT deal about the rules in a short time and given me a much much much greater appreciation for what the authors and playtestors have given us.

I'm banboozeled at work right now, so my time allocation for this has fallen significantly. It also doesn't help that jet ski season is upon me :lol: .
Ilkahn
Oddjob

Postby submarinex1 » 06 Apr 2017

army builder is same as the website one we use thats not maintained any more, its more just to work out force you can take, easily and generate army list it wouldnt include weapon stats etc and you would still need books.

armybuilder its self is software only and most lists are created by the players for any system they can use it on.

its a database program end of day. but you can include rules so the army is correct when you generate it.

its not trying to create a replacement for the books

use simular program for kings of war.

people create the army lists from info they have in books of games they play
submarinex1
Out of work Henchman

Return to Battlegroup Discussion