Into the field with Charlie Platoon – An Intro to BG

Into the field with Charlie Platoon – An Intro to BG

Postby Piers » 06 Nov 2014

Warwick has just written a detailed introductory piece for the Battlegroup WW2 rules.

You can download it here;

https://m.facebook.com/groups/237995539 ... =bookmarks
 ‘Landed. Killed Germans. F***ed off.’ - Major Anders Lassen's operational report to the Admiralty.
'...its not a realistic expectation, that you can use a tank as a sort of big 'fruit-squashing' machine' - Woz
Piers
Dominic Greene

Medals: 41
Capt Campaigner (1) Cav Campaigner (1) Arty 1st place (1) Comm 2nd place (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1)
England Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Comms Campaigner (1) Armour 3rd place (1) Terrain2 1st place (1) fortified 1st place (1)
Recce 2nd place (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty 1st place (1) Female Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1) 40mm 2nd place (1)
Wings Campaigner (1) POW Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) 30mm 1st place (1) Red Campaigner (1) Green 1st place (1)
AntiTank Campaigner (1) Easter14 2nd place (1) 60mm 2nd place (1) Lib Minis 1st (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Brit Minis 2nd place (1)
Scen1 Campaigner (1) Big Game 2010 (1) 2010 Build (1) 2011 Build (1) 2012 Build (1) 2013 Build 3rd place (1)
xmas15 2nd place (1) xmas14 campaigner (1) 2014 build 3rd place (1) 2015 build 2nd place (1) 2016 build 2nd place (1)

Re: Into the field with Charlie Platoon – An Intro to BG

Postby john » 06 Nov 2014

Thanks for the link Piers

As a ( hopefully ) soon to be newbie Battlegroup player this type of battle report is a great help .
john
Nick Nack

Postby Gunbird » 06 Nov 2014

Excellent intro!
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, travels around to get in the occasional game. Current flavour of the month - scenery frenzy! My Blog >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/
Gunbird
Stromberg

Medals: 29
Capt Campaigner (1) Arty Campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1) Scratch1 3rd place (1) England Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1)
Building 3rd place (1) FriendFoe Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty Campaigner (1) Female Campaigner (1)
Sniper 2nd place (1) Winter Campaigner (1) 40mm Campaigner (1) Wings 2nd place (1) Truck Campaigner (1) 30mm 3rd place (1)
Red Campaigner (1) Green 2nd place (1) AntiTank Campaigner (1) 60mm campaigner (1) dday 1st place (1) Lib Minis Campaigner (1)
Terrain Campaigner (1) Brit Minis Campaigner (1) SandS 2nd place (1) Big Game 2010 (1) xmas15 campaigner (1)

Postby tankbuffred » 06 Nov 2014

A really good piece. Easy to follow and well laid out. It will certainly help new players get to grips with the mechanics of the Battlegroup system.
Not more blooming hedges!
tankbuffred
Helga Brandt

Postby hincmar » 07 Nov 2014

Thanks, that's a really useful primer. I'll print it out and use it as a "refresher" document.

Just one query: I'm not sure that I understand correctly why the US should take 2 counters at the beginning of the game for the German player holding two of the objectives. These objectives were placed by German in his deployment zone and it seems he forced the US to take a counter for each one just by deploying his forces there. I thought that a player only takes a counter when his opponent captures an objective during the game by moving on to it / eliminating any nearby enemy units? Thus, where the German player starts the game deployed on an objective, the US player would cause him to draw a counter if he subsequently captured it, but the US player would not take one merely because the German player deployed there before the game commenced.
hincmar
Largo

Medals: 3
Flak Campaigner (1) Big Game 2011 (1) xmas15 1st place (1)

Postby Phil Robinson » 07 Nov 2014

A really excellent intro it really clarifies things, and should get folk about to take the plunge hooked. Good to see that we were doing the taking of chits for objectives held at the start of the game correctly, something I have been meaning to get confirmed too.
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.co.uk/
Phil Robinson
General Orlov

Postby Piers » 07 Nov 2014

hincmar wrote:Thanks, that's a really useful primer. I'll print it out and use it as a "refresher" document.

Just one query: I'm not sure that I understand correctly why the US should take 2 counters at the beginning of the game for the German player holding two of the objectives. These objectives were placed by German in his deployment zone and it seems he forced the US to take a counter for each one just by deploying his forces there. I thought that a player only takes a counter when his opponent captures an objective during the game by moving on to it / eliminating any nearby enemy units? Thus, where the German player starts the game deployed on an objective, the US player would cause him to draw a counter if he subsequently captured it, but the US player would not take one merely because the German player deployed there before the game commenced.

Nope.

If you are lucky enough to start on an objective your opponent will take a chit at the end of turn 1. You are after all capturing it on turn 1.

We place objectives, then roll for table edge. So its risky placing them in deployment areas.

Its the reason our games see objectives towadds the centre of the table in encounter games, and it makes for a better game too, in my opinion as you must move to secure them.

Look at it this way, what difference is there from startjng on an objective in turn 1, or moving in turn 1 to take an objective... why would one not count?
Piers
Dominic Greene

Capt Campaigner (1) Cav Campaigner (1) Arty 1st place (1) Comm 2nd place (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1)
England Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Comms Campaigner (1) Armour 3rd place (1) Terrain2 1st place (1) fortified 1st place (1)
Recce 2nd place (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty 1st place (1) Female Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1) 40mm 2nd place (1)
Wings Campaigner (1) POW Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) 30mm 1st place (1) Red Campaigner (1) Green 1st place (1)
AntiTank Campaigner (1) Easter14 2nd place (1) 60mm 2nd place (1) Lib Minis 1st (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Brit Minis 2nd place (1)
Scen1 Campaigner (1) Big Game 2010 (1) 2010 Build (1) 2011 Build (1) 2012 Build (1) 2013 Build 3rd place (1)
xmas15 2nd place (1) xmas14 campaigner (1) 2014 build 3rd place (1) 2015 build 2nd place (1) 2016 build 2nd place (1)

My take on it is simply that the game hasn't started yet. The "capture" of the objective is in the pre-game deployment phase. I understand your logic entirely. It just seems a bit odd to me in terms of how it played out here. With a BR of 18, the US were up to 8 points without "kicking a ball" as it were. As a US player In such a small level game, I would have been a bit miffed though I can see from your explanation that this is what the rules dictate and it could easily have gone the other way! Thus far, we have played the rule on the basis that a counter is only taken if an objective is actually taken by a unit by moving on to it during the game with any enemy units either eliminated or otherwise outside the zone of the objective. But like I say, I understand the logic now from your explanation. I think my confusion comes from the fact that we have never played a scenario where the players have rolled for which table edge they enter: it has always been set deployments and edges, with any objective either pre-decided by the scenario or, where one side has a marker in its orbat, placed within that side's zone as an objective for the other side.
hincmar
Largo

Postby Piers » 07 Nov 2014

Well if playing a defined 'historical' scenario, then you may want to rule they done count at the start. In the new Blitz book I have been playing with objectives and how they play in historical based scenarios.

But in pick up games, the risk is designed to make players cautious in meeting encounter games when placing objectives. By this it hopefully sees objectives placed centrally making for more mobile encounters.
Piers
Dominic Greene

Yep, fair enough - understood. Either way, I'm gonna have to play that scenario!
hincmar
Largo

Postby Brodir » 07 Nov 2014

Usually the defender has the advantage in objectives, the attacker has to come and take them... which hopefully forces the attacker to actual attack, but the down side is they are already deployed in a known area for timed strikes and target points etc... plus they know where the objectives are too and can hammer them early.

nothing special about the scenario Fred, it's just a standard Defence Line game in Normandy. For a while it looked like the US would get spanked, but they mounted a comeback, thankfully.
Brodir
Dr No

Postby Brian » 07 Nov 2014

Great! I was looking for something like this! Thanks!

Brian
Thanks!
GOD BLESS!
Brian
GO GATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Somebody wake up Hicks..."
Brian
Dr No

Postby alfynokes » 08 Nov 2014

Very useful thanks. I took 3 counters at the start (2 for objectives, 1 for being outscouted) in 2 of the games for the BGK weekend :blush:

I've downloaded this, and will be referring to this a lot, it's going to be a great help.
Welcome my friends, to the led mountain that never ends.
alfynokes
Tee Hee

Postby Brodir » 10 Nov 2014

Thanks all. As a free PDF it would great if you players could share this around amongst your gaming friends and clubs etc, to get it out there and circulating beyond the Guild's select few. I;m sure there are many WWII gamers out there who would just enjoy the read if nothing else. cheers :good:
Brodir
Dr No

Postby Phil Robinson » 10 Nov 2014

I have popped a link on the Lead Adventure Forum
Phil Robinson
General Orlov

Postby ColonelBob » 10 Nov 2014

Just one question about the Ambush order for the US team in the German's turn 3.
I always thought, and we play it like that, that you can only interupt the opponents turn if you see him doing something. That's to say, if he moves a unit or if he fires his first shot in an open fire order.
So you can use your ambush fire after a unit has moved as little as possible or if it has fired its first shot of the two shots possible.
Now in this example, the Us player uses its ambush fire directly whwn the German player declares that he activates the sniper.
What is now right? :this:
ColonelBob
Mr Wint

Postby Powermonger » 18 Aug 2015

Hi, just starting the BG experience.
Great Report! But i have question:

Why the German MG squad is ordered "ambush fire" after the allied plane is on the table??
After the first strafing by the plane, why not just open AA fire with the MG team in the german turn? What was the reasoning for ordering a new ambush order?

Thanks!

Regards,

Diego
You may be Powermonger, but I´m Powerowner
Powermonger
Pussy Galore

Medals: 1
Recce campaigner (1)

Postby Nazrat » 18 Aug 2015

ColonelBob wrote:Just one question about the Ambush order for the US team in the German's turn 3.
I always thought, and we play it like that, that you can only interupt the opponents turn if you see him doing something. That's to say, if he moves a unit or if he fires his first shot in an open fire order.
So you can use your ambush fire after a unit has moved as little as possible or if it has fired its first shot of the two shots possible.
Now in this example, the Us player uses its ambush fire directly whwn the German player declares that he activates the sniper.
What is now right? :this:

The rule is that you can take Ambush Fire to interrupt "any enemy Unit's order". That in no way means that you have to fire at the unit that is being activated. You also do NOT have to wait until the target takes it's first shot-- you can interrupt the order and fire before they do. Note that this is different from Reserve Move in which you CANNOT interrupt an order after they have done the first action. This has always been the "right" way to play, although also I see the logic in doing it your way.
Nazrat
Pussy Galore

Postby prof » 18 Oct 2015

This is really excellence and helped me get into the rules very quickly and easily. Many thanks Warwick!
prof
Oddjob

Medals: 2
Red Campaigner (1) Brit Minis Campaigner (1)

Postby Stratocaster12 » 04 May 2017

Cracking intro battle report, thanks a lot .
Stratocaster12
Three Blind Mice

Next

Return to Battlegroup Discussion