Alert

If your name looks like spam your account will be deleted.

1914-1918

New force builder for Battlegroup Kursk

New force builder for Battlegroup Kursk

Postby quozl » 22 Jan 2013

Hi all,

With thanks to Warwick for letting me do this, I'm delighted to present the initial work-in-progress release of the Battle Group Builder.

http://battlegroupbuilder.com

[edit]

It's pretty much complete at this stage and still resides at the above link. All the "Doesn't"s are now "Does"s and the known bugs are fixed.
Any bug reports of feature suggestions very welcome.
[/edit]

This is still very much under development but it's at a stage where it can hopefully be useful to some people.

Does:
Allow creating both Panzer and Infantry division lists.
Saving and loading of lists.
Tally points cost and BR totals.
Enforce unique choices.
Enforce requirements to take particular core choices (infantry, tanks etc) before you can take different support choices. This was a PITA to code!
Support all the unit types in the two german lists.
Support the idea of platoons & companies - ie units with a sub-selection of squads/platoons underneath.
Support the different unit load-out options (like transport, MG34 or MG42 etc).
Runs entirely in your web-browser. I'll provide a zip file of the final version for anybody who wants to use it as a desktop application.

Doesn't:
Do russian lists yet. They're coming over the next couple of days.
Produce a nice printable roster. This is coming and is one of the main aims of the builder.
Enforce restricted unit choices. I intend to display a number of restricted selections chosen and whether or not they exceed the amount allowed for your points level. I don't intend to actually enforce the restriction as people can then choose to follow it or not rather than have to when using the builder.

Known bugs:
If you have a really large list with many choices from those that allow you to choose support options and you simultaneously have large number of support choices then the script can hang. This is because of the ridiculous number of permutations that need to be worked out. 13 core options and 9 support options means 259 million possible permutations (13*12*11*10*9*8*7*6*5) need to be worked out and compared. That's going to take a long time and the browser will think the script has hung. I may just have to disable requirements checking for big lists frankly. On the plus side, working that one out as a human would be tricky too :)

[edit] It now supports huge lists. I've programmed it to use all the mental tricks and sub-division/splitting approaches that a human would use when solving this problem and leave the brute-force approach for use with what's left over after that. [/edit]

I hope people enjoy it and feedback is welcome. I'm especially interested in anything related to errors in saving/loading lists, platoon/company sub-windows or support choice prior-prick requirements - as those are the most complicated components.

Here's a sample 395 point/32BR force made purely to show what a saved force looks like.
Code: Select all
AAA-AFB-ADC0BA1ABB_BB_CCD-ABE10CFG-ADI-AC0IG-ABH0

[edit]Oh, you will also need a reasonably modern browser to use it. Any of the free ones or an uptodate apple Safari browser will be fine. An old version of IE won't[/edit]

Greg
Last edited by quozl on 24 Apr 2013, edited 5 times in total.
quozl
Mr Kidd

Re: New force builder for Battlegroup Kursk

Postby Bede19025 » 22 Jan 2013

nice! Thanks very much.
Bede19025
Nick Nack

Postby Alan Charlesworth » 22 Jan 2013

Wow! That is going to be so useful. Thanks very much for working on that. Keep us all updated on progress.
:grin: :thumbsup: :grin:
Lots of Battlegroup Kursk Game Aids at: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Kursk
My Club: http://swgs.org.uk/Shrewsbury_Wargames_Society
My FLGS and 'other' gaming venue The Midlands Wargames Centre: http://staffordgames.co.uk
Alan Charlesworth
Sandor

Postby Nick2729 » 22 Jan 2013

Fantastic - great work. :good:
Nick2729
Nick Nack

Postby Grignotage » 22 Jan 2013

Quozl, this is badass! So much better than the old 40k army builder.

Very well done, sir.
http://thedogsbrush.blogspot.com/
Grignotage
Dr No

Postby jamingui » 22 Jan 2013

Looks very good! Great Work!! :thumbsup:
Javier
jamingui
Baron Samedi

Postby thehivemind » 23 Jan 2013

Excellent ! Great work so far and will come in seriously handy .

Well done
thehivemind
Goldfinger

Medals: 14
Comm Campaigner (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Sniper 3rd place (1) 40mm Campaigner (1) Wings Campaigner (1) 30mm Campaigner (1)
Red 2nd place (1) Lib Minis Campaigner (1) Brit Minis Campaigner (1) Battle Campaigner (1) Battlegroup 2nd place (1) Big Game 2010 (1)
2010 Build (1) 2011 Build (1)

Postby quozl » 23 Jan 2013

Russian Tank Company + Infantry Company added and work-in-progress towards a printable view of the lists.

Print view doesn't show total points or BR yet, or unit load-out options or number of officers. That'll come I'm just working on the awkward bits first - the dynamic layout.

Note: to get out of print view just click anywhere on the print view text and it should send you back to normal view. Don't press back in your browser as you're actually still on the same page, it's just changed its look.
quozl
Mr Kidd

Postby jfariahitech » 24 Jan 2013

Thanks!
Great work!
:good: :good: :good:
My blogs:
http://obrigadeiro.blogspot.com/
http://brigadatripeira.blogspot.com/
jfariahitech
Gobinda

Medals: 6
FriendFoe Campaigner (1) Armour Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) fortified campaigner (1) Recce campaigner (1) AntiTank Campaigner (1)

Postby Colonel White » 24 Jan 2013

Very nice :good:

Does it guarantee 6s . :grin:
Founder and only known member of the Cromwell Tank appreciation society.

Sticking up for the rights and welfare of Cromwell tanks since 2013
Colonel White
Blofeld

Postby Alan Charlesworth » 24 Jan 2013

Colonel White wrote:Very nice :good:

Does it guarantee 6s . :grin:

Only when rolling to see how many inches your Spotter Round deviated from its aiming point!
Alan Charlesworth
Sandor

Postby Yekke » 24 Jan 2013

Many thanks Greg for doing this! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Anything worth fighting for, is worth fighting dirty for.
- Unknown
Yekke
Kananga

Medals: 18
Capt Campaigner (1) Cav Campaigner (1) Comm 1st place (1) Afloat Campaigner (1) England Campaigner (1) Portrait 2nd place (1)
Leader 2nd (1) Casualty Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1) dday 2nd place (1)
Lib Minis Campaigner (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Plast1 3rd place (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1) Big Game 2010 (1) 2012 Build 2nd place (1)

Postby NTM » 24 Jan 2013

Must remember to look at this tonight as I cannot access at work. Comes only days after I started to create my own Excel roster too.
NTM
Goldfinger

Medals: 8
30mm Campaigner (1) Red Campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1) 60mm campaigner (1) 2013 Build (1) xmas15 campaigner (1)
xmas14 campaigner (1) easter15 campaigner (1)

Postby quozl » 25 Jan 2013

Things are pretty close to being finished now.

There's a nice printable roster option now and I've fixed a number of bugs.

Any suggestions or bug reports very welcome.
quozl
Mr Kidd

Postby Bede19025 » 25 Jan 2013

Will try this out this weekend. Thanks very much.
Bede19025
Nick Nack

Postby quozl » 29 Jan 2013

Major improvements in support for Internet Explorer. I published the builder on TMP yesterday and found out via helpful online souls that it died a horrible death in Internet Explorer - the one major browser I don't have on my work or home machines and the one that is completly bl**dy stupid :)

So if you have IE 9 or 10 then it should work well for you now.

IE 8 is functional but you'll probably have a better experience with a new version of IE or any other the free browsers.
quozl
Mr Kidd

Postby MikH » 30 Jan 2013

hi Greg

great tool and really useful, it will save me wearing my book out when I put lists together

one thought though is there anyway to get the special rules a unit has listed in the print view?

I'm not asking for a summary of the rules (they are in the book) but knowing that my T-34 platoon has the Stal! Stal! Stal!, and T-34 Mobility rules would be really useful

it's tools like this that really save time before a game and help during a game so I'm a big fan

Mike

PS Warwick thank you for letting Greg put this together :good:
MikH
Professor Dent

Postby quozl » 31 Jan 2013

Heya Mike,

Good idea - I'd need Warwick's permission to use the names of the rules.

I'll see what suggestions people come up with over the next week or two and I'll see if Warwick is agreeable to some of them.

So, any other suggestions are very welcome!

Greg
quozl
Mr Kidd

Postby EvinW » 06 Feb 2013

It looks great! As a webdeveloper I know what pains must have been felt during the coding. Cheers for doing a great job :hello: :clapping:
EvinW
Mishka

Medals: 1
xmas14 campaigner (1)

Postby quozl » 06 Feb 2013

Thanks EvinW, I'm glad that you like it.

I plan on updating it for BG:O once my copy arrives - pre-ordered yesterday.

It's going to take me some time to add 13 army lists! I may have to crowd source part of the list entry work or I may well go mental - 4 lists was plenty ;)
quozl
Mr Kidd

Next

Return to Battlegroup Discussion