Milliput or green stuff?

Milliput or green stuff?

Postby SP> » 05 Mar 2017

I'm wanting to make some custom game tokens, small rectangular flat things, what should I use out of the two above suggestions? Or somethinmg else entirely. I may want to cast them up so what ever I make them out of has to be able to withstand that ideally.

MTIA
"... and then my loneliness closes in so I drink a German wine and drift in dreams of other lives and greater times..."

http://spprojectblog.wordpress.com/

http://www.penninemegagames.co.uk/
SP>
Blofeld

Medals: 37
Cav Campaigner (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1) Scratch1 Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Building Campaigner (1)
Comms Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Portrait Campaigner (1) fortified campaigner (1) Recce campaigner (1) Engineer campaigner (1)
Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty Campaigner (1) Female Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1) 40mm Campaigner (1) Wings Campaigner (1)
POW Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) 30mm Campaigner (1) Red Campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1) Ambulance campaigner (1)
60mm campaigner (1) dday campaigner (1) quick campaigner (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Brit Minis Campaigner (1) Plast1 Campaigner (1)
Battle Campaigner (1) SandS Campaigner (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1) 2010 Build (1) 2012 Build (1) xmas14 campaigner (1)
easter15 campaigner (1)

Re: Milliput or green stuff?

Postby Panzer21 » 05 Mar 2017

SP> wrote:I'm wanting to make some custom game tokens, small rectangular flat things, what should I use out of the two above suggestions? Or somethinmg else entirely. I may want to cast them up so what ever I make them out of has to be able to withstand that ideally.

MTIA

Both will be resilient enough for casting, with green stuff more so than miliput.
You can even "cast" green stuff in a push mold if the base can be blank.

Each have their own properties; it's as much about personal preference as anything.
You can also mix them together.

I find green stuff generally gives sharper detail, although tends to smooth things out. Miliput can be smoothed with water, but always retains a "grainy" texture.

Both need to be sculpted after the sticky stage; this is sooner with green stuff but it also sets quicker so the window of opportunity to work it is less.

Neil
Panzer21
Mayday

Postby Daryl » 05 Mar 2017

Das modelling clay is a cheap easy alternative... sets rock hard and would be no problem making a rubber mold, as would miliput and green stuff, if the tokens are completely flat with no detail green stuff would be wasted I think.
The only thing to look forward to… is the past.
Daryl
Kananga

Medals: 2
Portrait 1st place (1) Recce 2nd place (1)

Postby SP> » 05 Mar 2017

Thanks guys. Will have a try out with both before I commit to anything.

How long should you leave each before you start to try working with either?
SP>
Blofeld

Cav Campaigner (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1) Scratch1 Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Building Campaigner (1)
Comms Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Portrait Campaigner (1) fortified campaigner (1) Recce campaigner (1) Engineer campaigner (1)
Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty Campaigner (1) Female Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1) 40mm Campaigner (1) Wings Campaigner (1)
POW Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) 30mm Campaigner (1) Red Campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1) Ambulance campaigner (1)
60mm campaigner (1) dday campaigner (1) quick campaigner (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Brit Minis Campaigner (1) Plast1 Campaigner (1)
Battle Campaigner (1) SandS Campaigner (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1) 2010 Build (1) 2012 Build (1) xmas14 campaigner (1)
easter15 campaigner (1)

Greenstuff you have an hour at least before it starts to harden... though still workable for a couple of hours.

Are you going to put any detail on them at all. ?

Greenstuff is cheapest on amazon.
Daryl
Kananga

Postby SP> » 05 Mar 2017

Thanks Daryl- was just going to carve detail into them after I've rolled them out flat and cut them to size.
SP>
Blofeld

easter15 campaigner (1)

Im certainly no expert...greenstuff I feel is great for moving about and working down into but not good for removing excess to create detail if you get what I mean, greenstuff works best when you add layer upon layer...its very forgiving.
Daryl
Kananga

Postby Panzer21 » 05 Mar 2017

The problem with working them is the stickiness; green stuff is tackier when you first work it, you will find it harden on you gradually but still be quite plastic.
Miliput is stickier overall, but becomes less so as it hardens.

You can carve miliput (as well as sand) but green stuff less so.

You need to keep tools wet, but too much on miliput and it becomes like a paste. With a wet tool you can work quite easily with both (if you know what I mean....innuendo aside).

Don't mix up too much;it's better to have to mix up another batch than have lots go hard before you have used it. Mix small balls of each to get the equal proportions.

Green stuff allows you to shape and impress details from when mixed, miliput I'd leave for 10-15 minutes after mixing.
Neil
Panzer21
Mayday

Panzer21 wrote:With a wet tool you can work quite easily with both (if you know what I mean....innuendo aside).

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just put everything in my mouth :lol: thinking about it now a small pot of water would of been better, especially when it come to the scalpel and needle :shock:

I found water preferable to vaseline or skin cream etc as water dries quick easing the layering process as following bits will stick when placing them due to greenstuffs tackiness, vaseline nullifys that effect which can cause a serious rise in body temperature :lol: though I do believe the smoothest finish is with oily lubricants rather than water.
Daryl
Kananga

Postby Panzer21 » 06 Mar 2017

Daryl wrote:
Panzer21 wrote:With a wet tool you can work quite easily with both (if you know what I mean....innuendo aside).

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just put everything in my mouth :lol: thinking about it now a small pot of water would of been better, especially when it come to the scalpel and needle :shock:

I found water preferable to vaseline or skin cream etc as water dries quick easing the layering process as following bits will stick when placing them due to greenstuffs tackiness, vaseline nullifys that effect which can cause a serious rise in body temperature :lol: though I do believe the smoothest finish is with oily lubricants rather than water.

I'd suggest water as it avoids the toxic chemicals in both (miliput being worse for this).
Never used Vaseline but have been known to resort to saliva......oh dear we are back to nudge nudge wink wink territory.....when no water is to hand.
Neil
Panzer21
Mayday

Postby Adler » 20 Mar 2017

To counteract stickiness you need talc, water makes things stickier.
L
Adler
General Orlov

Return to Painting etc Help Desk