KG Peiper Ardennes, Oak leaf?

KG Peiper Ardennes, Oak leaf?

Postby braxen » 03 Nov 2017

Hello,

as an extension of my previous question, do we have pictorial evidence of over type of camouflage worn in Kampfgruppe Peiper during the Ardennes?

I am trying to paint a platoon and was wondering what proportions of patterns I should use

I was thinking 70% Oak leaf autumn side and 30% Pea dots. Any chance for over patterns? Spring side? Helmet covers? I"d rather go with what was actually photographed.

thank you
braxen
Sandor

Medals: 1
Battlegroup Campaigner (1)

Re: KG Peiper Ardennes, Oak leaf?

Postby Greebs » 03 Nov 2017

Bear in mind, Oak Leaf camo, and Pea Dot camo, are almost mutually exclusive in application. There are very few items that were manufactured in both cloth patterns. Pea Dot was only really used on Tunics, Trousers and the Tanker versions of same.
Greebs
Dr No

Medals: 6
Armour Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) 60mm campaigner (1) xmas15 campaigner (1) xmas14 campaigner (1) 2015 build campaigner (1)

Postby braxen » 04 Nov 2017

Hello,

thanks for taking the time.

I mean out of 25 soldiers that I will paint for my platoon, I am planning to have

-6 in pea dot pattern
-5 in Oak leaf pattern Spring side
-14 in Oak leaf autumn side

Should other pattern appear, are the proportion reasonable, any soldiers without camouflaged smock?

that would be for a fighting force themed after KG Peiper in the Ardennes. I already have a squad or so of Paratroopers.
braxen
Sandor

Medals: 1
Battlegroup Campaigner (1)

Postby recon » 30 Nov 2017

some ncos had Italian camo trousers ...
recon
Goldfinger

Postby DonFabrizio » 07 Dec 2017

I would add a few without camo socks/tunics in great-coats.
It is hard to distinguish the summer from autumn side in b/w pictures. Given the many evergeen trees in the area, I would do 50% autumn 50% summer for the guys in smocks.
It is also difficult to make an educated guess on the percentages of smocks vs pea-dot tunics based on pictures. Some pictures show most soldiers in smocks, some show most soldiers in pea-dot tunics.
DonFabrizio
Goldfinger

Medals: 4
Afloat Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1) Winter Campaigner (1) 2011 Build (1)

Postby Ray » 07 Dec 2017

They just had a real mix of all sorts,just like any other Waffen SS formation in late 44. It has something i have studied for 30yrs now. :thumbsup:
They were really no different from the rest. :hello:
SOTCW 118
Ray Haskins
Fulltime figure painter.
No Job too small or big.
10% Discount to fellow Guilders.
Ray
Kananga

Medals: 7
Armour Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Recce campaigner (1) Engineer campaigner (1) Ambulance campaigner (1) quick campaigner (1)
2015 build campaigner (1)

Return to Painting etc Help Desk