AFRIKA cuff title

AFRIKA cuff title

Postby Alanmccoubrey » 03 Nov 2017

I have just noticed in a photograph of Hans Höller of 8./PzGren Regt 192 in Normandy that he is wearing his AFRIKA cuff title on his LEFT arm. Can anyone explain by this should be ? He was army not W-SS after all.
This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever.
Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

Alan
Alanmccoubrey
Kananga

Medals: 9
Capt Campaigner (1) Flak 3rd place (1) Recce campaigner (1) Leader Campaigner (1) POW Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1)
Easter14 Campaigner (1) quick campaigner (1) Terrain Campaigner (1)

Re: AFRIKA cuff title

Postby Daryl » 04 Nov 2017

Afrika and crete titles were worn on the left arm only....the right arm in the Heer was reserved for unit cuff titles.

Luftwaffe and kreigsmarine also wore it on the left arm.

von Manteuffel is one of a few notables who elected to wear it incorrectly on his right arm.
The only thing to look forward to… is the past.
Daryl
Kananga

Medals: 2
Portrait 1st place (1) Recce 2nd place (1)

Postby laurence strong » 04 Nov 2017

Is the breast eagle on the correct side? Negative could have been reversed when the picture was developed....

Cheers
Larry
laurence strong
Goldfinger

Medals: 10
Cav Campaigner (1) Arty Campaigner (1) Comm Campaigner (1) England Campaigner (1) FriendFoe Campaigner (1) Recce campaigner (1)
Leader Campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1) Ambulance campaigner (1) Lib Minis Campaigner (1)

Postby Alanmccoubrey » 04 Nov 2017

Daryl, I'm afraid that you are incorrect there, the original order for the Afrika cuff title specified that it be worn six inches above the right cuff.

Larry, My first thought too, sadly the breast eagle is on the correct side in the photograph.
Alanmccoubrey
Kananga

Capt Campaigner (1) Flak 3rd place (1) Recce campaigner (1) Leader Campaigner (1) POW Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1)

Postby Daryl » 04 Nov 2017

Well il just continue with the left arm all the same.... :hello:
Daryl
Kananga

Medals: 2
Portrait 1st place (1) Recce 2nd place (1)

Postby NTM » 04 Nov 2017

No idea which is the correct sleeve but first hit on Google image search was this

Lots of others on the left sleeve but they were all Fallschirmjager
NTM
Largo

Medals: 8
30mm Campaigner (1) Red Campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1) 60mm campaigner (1) 2013 Build (1) xmas15 campaigner (1)
xmas14 campaigner (1) easter15 campaigner (1)

Postby nickoftime45 » 04 Nov 2017

Is it possible that the order you are referring to is for the 'Afrikakorps' instituted on the 18th of July 1941 which would be expected to be on the right as opposed to the 'Afrika with Palms' instituted on 15th of January 1943 and intended to be worn on the left?
nickoftime45
Grishka

Postby laurence strong » 05 Nov 2017

nickoftime45 wrote:Is it possible that the order you are referring to is for the 'Afrikakorps' instituted on the 18th of July 1941 which would be expected to be on the right as opposed to the 'Afrika with Palms' instituted on 15th of January 1943 and intended to be worn on the left?

From what I am reading that's exactly how thjey are supposed to be worn....looking up pictures I keep seeing "Afrika" on the left arm....even found a picture of a sailor in the KM wearing one.....on his left arm..

"Afrika"
https://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/campai ... ations.htm

"Afrikakorps"
http://www.cimilitaria.com/afrikakorps_main.html

I can't find any sort of "official" confirmation with a Heeresmitteilungen or a Heeres-Verordungsblatt number......so take it with a grain of salt I guess..

Cheers
Larry

PS I just found this quote buit have not chased it down.....

With the introduction of the "Afrika" campaign cufftitle on January 15th, 1943, the Afrikakorps cufftitle was ordered removed. Although the Afrika cufftitle was a campaign cufftitle most personnel who had worn the Afrikakorps cufftitle would have been eligible for the Afrika cufftitle.
laurence strong
Goldfinger

Cav Campaigner (1) Arty Campaigner (1) Comm Campaigner (1) England Campaigner (1) FriendFoe Campaigner (1) Recce campaigner (1)
Leader Campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1) Ambulance campaigner (1) Lib Minis Campaigner (1)

Postby laurence strong » 06 Nov 2017

Found the Heeresmitteilungen....HM 43, No.60

2nd paragraph
wird auf dem linken Unterärmel der Uniform getragen zwar:

"is worn on the left sleeve of the uniform though:"

Cheers
Larry
laurence strong
Goldfinger

Postby Alanmccoubrey » 06 Nov 2017

Thanks everyone. So to sum up, after the end in Africa , May 1943, the AFRIKA armband effectively became a campaign badge worn on the left sleeve in a similar manner to the Narvik/Demyansk/Crimea shields.
Alanmccoubrey
Kananga

Postby Adler » 06 Nov 2017

Thats how Ive figured it out Alan, though that didnt stop me putting it on the wrong arm when I painted a Lehr figure recently........doh! ;)
L
Adler
Grishka

Return to Painting etc Help Desk