A question for UK uniforms experts: greatcoats in Anzio

A question for UK uniforms experts: greatcoats in Anzio

Postby arshak » 11 Jun 2017

Hi all,
I was planning to get some figures for British troops at Anzio, and after some search for photos, I thought to include some figures in greatcoat. As it happens, I have these two Goumiers from Battlefield, which I am not going to use otherwise. Do you think that eliminating the hood and re-working the equipment, these may represent UK soldiers in greatcoats? Any suggestion with regard to the equipment is welcomed.
Thanks in advance (and sorry for the first blurred pic)
Fabrizio

arshak
Grishka

Medals: 3
Building Campaigner (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Winter Campaigner (1)

Re: A question for UK uniforms experts: greatcoats in Anzio

Postby Arvaker » 11 Jun 2017

Was the Sten used in Italy? Thought the infantry used Thompsons there.
The Guild made me do it!
Arvaker
Kananga

Medals: 8
Flak Campaigner (1) Leader Campaigner (1) 40mm Campaigner (1) POW Campaigner (1) AntiTank Campaigner (1) Ambulance campaigner (1)
quick campaigner (1) xmas14 campaigner (1)

Postby Piers » 11 Jun 2017

Arvaker wrote:Was the Sten used in Italy? Thought the infantry used Thompsons there.

‘Landed. Killed Germans. F***ed off.’ - Major Anders Lassen's operational report to the Admiralty.
'...its not a realistic expectation, that you can use a tank as a sort of big 'fruit-squashing' machine' - Woz
Piers
Dominic Greene

Medals: 42
Capt Campaigner (1) Cav Campaigner (1) Arty 1st place (1) Comm 2nd place (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1)
England Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Comms Campaigner (1) Armour 3rd place (1) Terrain2 1st place (1) fortified 1st place (1)
Recce 2nd place (1) Engineer 3rd place (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty 1st place (1) Female Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1)
40mm 2nd place (1) Wings Campaigner (1) POW Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) 30mm 1st place (1) Red Campaigner (1)
Green 1st place (1) AntiTank Campaigner (1) Easter14 2nd place (1) 60mm 2nd place (1) Lib Minis 1st (1) Terrain Campaigner (1)
Brit Minis 2nd place (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1) Big Game 2010 (1) 2010 Build (1) 2011 Build (1) 2012 Build (1)
2013 Build 3rd place (1) xmas15 2nd place (1) xmas14 campaigner (1) 2014 build 3rd place (1) 2015 build 2nd place (1) 2016 build 2nd place (1)

Postby Arvaker » 11 Jun 2017

Well, see the posts in this thread. It claims Stens were rare until mid-1944. Sounds convincing to me.

https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=27712&page=2
Arvaker
Kananga

Medals: 8
Flak Campaigner (1) Leader Campaigner (1) 40mm Campaigner (1) POW Campaigner (1) AntiTank Campaigner (1) Ambulance campaigner (1)
quick campaigner (1) xmas14 campaigner (1)

Postby Iain R » 11 Jun 2017

Back to the original question about the greatcoats; aye, if you could get rid of the hood, at 20mm I think they'd work fine. British greatcoats have large collars and came in both single and double breasted varieties (and a plethora of different cuts, button/pleat styles...). I've got an officer's pattern one if you want any pics for guidance.
My painting blog: http://watchitdry.blogspot.co.uk/ - For work in progress, and other stuff that doesn't end up on here...
Bobinantes Boreales! http://bobinantesboreales.blogspot.co.uk/ - The gaming blog of The Roaring Northerners
Iain R
Goldfinger

Medals: 11
FriendFoe 1st place (1) Armour Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Recce campaigner (1) Red 3rd place (1) Green Campaigner (1)
Ambulance 1st place (1) xmas14 campaigner (1) 2014 build 3rd place (1) 2015 build campaigner (1) 2016 build campaigner (1)

Postby Piers » 11 Jun 2017

Arvaker wrote:Well, see the posts in this thread. It claims Stens were rare until mid-1944. Sounds convincing to me.

https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=27712&page=2

You asked if the Sten was used in Italy.

The pic was taken in Sept 43 at Reggio.

The answer too your question is therefore 'yes'.
Piers
Dominic Greene

Medals: 42
Capt Campaigner (1) Cav Campaigner (1) Arty 1st place (1) Comm 2nd place (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1)
England Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Comms Campaigner (1) Armour 3rd place (1) Terrain2 1st place (1) fortified 1st place (1)
Recce 2nd place (1) Engineer 3rd place (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty 1st place (1) Female Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1)
40mm 2nd place (1) Wings Campaigner (1) POW Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) 30mm 1st place (1) Red Campaigner (1)
Green 1st place (1) AntiTank Campaigner (1) Easter14 2nd place (1) 60mm 2nd place (1) Lib Minis 1st (1) Terrain Campaigner (1)
Brit Minis 2nd place (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1) Big Game 2010 (1) 2010 Build (1) 2011 Build (1) 2012 Build (1)
2013 Build 3rd place (1) xmas15 2nd place (1) xmas14 campaigner (1) 2014 build 3rd place (1) 2015 build 2nd place (1) 2016 build 2nd place (1)

Postby arshak » 12 Jun 2017

thanks to everybody! the Sten is not a problem, I don't have multiples of the same figure, so one guy with the Sten would be fine regardless of how rare the weapon was....

Back to the original question about the greatcoats; aye, if you could get rid of the hood, at 20mm I think they'd work fine. British greatcoats have large collars and came in both single and double breasted varieties (and a plethora of different cuts, button/pleat styles...). I've got an officer's pattern one if you want any pics for guidance.

thanks Iain, sculpting the collar is going to be easy, I was worrying on the overall length of the greatcoat....
So, it seems that now I just have to understand precisely what kind of equipment they were supposed to bring, clearly I have to eliminate the big rectangular bag of the sten figure and things such as the US style can of the rifleman... :wave:
arshak
Grishka

Postby pete » 13 Jun 2017

Hi Arshak
Could you share what else you are intending to do for Anzio please ? I've just come back from 3 days there to see first hand where my late father served within the British Pioneer Corps so would be really interested.
Pete
pete
Donald 'RED' Grant

Postby DonFabrizio » 15 Jun 2017

I think it would work. Wartime miniatures have some dessert australians in greatcoats, hose might also be usefull and are by the same sculptor.
DonFabrizio
Goldfinger

Medals: 4
Afloat Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1) Winter Campaigner (1) 2011 Build (1)

Postby arshak » 15 Jun 2017

Thanks DonFabrizio, I will have a look to Wartime Australians… ;)

Pete, I come from Rome (although I now live in Vienna) and so Anzio has always had a special interest for me (as the whole Italian front from Sicily to Cassino, plenty of different troops). So, I just thought to adapt some of my Germans (I mainly paint and game Germans, which is why I am sometimes in need of some help with uniforms of different armies) with Zeltbahns and greatcoats, planning a couple of platoons. I already have 4-5 squads of Fallschirmjaeger, so was thinking to concentrate on the left part of the allied Anzio front (Aprilia, Carroceto etc.), which was mainly British. At the moment I have only a single friend to game with, so I cannot really plan too ambitious things, and mostly I have to rely on my time and energy to try to carry on projects. That is why I was thinking also about the British. I have a few generic Brits, but adding some heavily equipped guys would give a better idea of the appearance of the troops involved in the battle. I have started to collect pics of the places for possible future terrain projects, but in fact I am still in the stage of an idea more than a real plan, let’s see how it will develop…
Do you have something in mind about Anzio too? I would love to chat about it :wave:
Fabrizio
arshak
Grishka

Postby pete » 18 Jun 2017

It's great to hear that. I haven't wargamed since I was a teenager but have collected and painted for almost 40 years since. In all that time the Italian front and Anzio specifically has hardly got a mention. I've got a bit of everything buy mostly a US force for the Ardennes so Anzio is offering me something very different. So I will be concentrating on the British 1st infantry division which will allow me to focus on infantry clearly plus Bren Carriers, Bofors AA, trucks etc plus the occasional US tank destroyer in support , and armoured cars for the recce element. Going to Anzio I picked up a commemorative book in the Beachhead Museum which came with a load of photos I've not seen before. Alas I suffer from distractions into other eras of wargames so am pretty slow at progressing too far. I have recently bought Shellholescenics British infantry which I'm pleased with and whilst could be generic are mostly aimed at the Italian front.
pete
Donald 'RED' Grant

Postby arshak » 21 Jun 2017

Dear Pete,
Funnily enough, we have another interest in common, and my project on Anzio developed as a spin-off of a Bulge themed project (but on the German side), as troops in greatcoat and Zeltbahn were much more common than those in winter suits (which I am now planning to use for Nordwind).
You are right, not a lot on Italy, despite the possibilities (I mean, from “classical” armies to Goumiers!). And I also tend to have distractions on my way, including moving a bit South of Anzio and a bit before to paint DAK troops for Sicily and Salerno…all this coupled with an infection for converting figures which does not make me a very quick painter, although I am very satisfied with the results generally…

Now I am at the same time trying to fulfill my plans for the Fallschirmjäger (but I could already field some in an Anzio based scenario with KG Gericke), painting some German in smock for 21st PzDiv in Normandy and starting to put together the figures in greatcoats and/or Zeltbahns that I would use for Anzio. Thus the Brits in greatcoat above will provide me with some variation ;)

Let’s update on our progresses
Fabrizio
arshak
Grishka

Postby pete » 24 Jun 2017

Will do.
Pete
pete
Donald 'RED' Grant

Return to Painting etc Help Desk