Alert

If your name looks like spam your account will be deleted.

1914-1918

German signaling flag colors?

German signaling flag colors?

Postby 7dot62mm » 09 May 2017

Hi,

So I'm painting up some Gebirgsjaeger, including of course the Airfix classic figure of a Melder signaling with flags:

...any ideas as to what color the flags would be?
7dot62mm
Dr No

Medals: 13
Afloat Campaigner (1) Armour Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Recce campaigner (1) Female Campaigner (1) quick campaigner (1)
Lib Minis Campaigner (1) Plast1 Campaigner (1) xmas15 campaigner (1) xmas14 campaigner (1) easter15 campaigner (1) 2015 build campaigner (1)
2016 build campaigner (1)

Re: German signaling flag colors?

Postby wolflord » 09 May 2017

Never heard of the use of signal flags in the Wehrmacht, but the Kriegsmarine used them.
So you could paint those flags like this:

The flags in the picture means C, if you want to use other other colors or two different flags, take a look here:

Greetings
Wolflord
“Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”
Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant
wolflord
Rosa Klebb

Postby 7dot62mm » 10 May 2017

Brilliant! Thanks! :hello: :hello: :clapping:
7dot62mm
Dr No

Afloat Campaigner (1) Armour Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Recce campaigner (1) Female Campaigner (1) quick campaigner (1)
Lib Minis Campaigner (1) Plast1 Campaigner (1) xmas15 campaigner (1) xmas14 campaigner (1) easter15 campaigner (1) 2015 build campaigner (1)

Postby etranger » 10 May 2017

wolflord wrote:Never heard of the use of signal flags in the Wehrmacht, ...

Flag signals were used in early panzers to communicate. http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/thread/1067983264 (there are other references).

I'm sure that they would have been used by other units too. At a guess they were used as semaphore signals, rather than as individual 'letters', because who wants to carry 26 (=/-) flags when two will do.

(These are British examples, from https://royal-signals.org.uk/Datasheets ... gFlags.php) https://wn.com/flag_semaphore
etranger
Mayday

Medals: 15
Afloat Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Building Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Casualty Campaigner (1) Winter Campaigner (1)
Wings Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1) 2010 Build (1) 2011 Build (1)
2012 Build (1) 2015 build campaigner (1) 2016 build campaigner (1)

Postby etranger » 10 May 2017

Found the Wehrmacht manual. Yours for $6 US! From http://www.germanmanuals.com/REmanuals.html

etranger
Mayday

Medals: 15
Afloat Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Building Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Casualty Campaigner (1) Winter Campaigner (1)
Wings Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1) 2010 Build (1) 2011 Build (1)
2012 Build (1) 2015 build campaigner (1) 2016 build campaigner (1)

Postby 7dot62mm » 10 May 2017

You guys are a fount of information! Many, many thanks! I agree with Etranger, I think the signal flags would be used in that fashion.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
7dot62mm
Dr No

Postby wolflord » 11 May 2017

Forgot those light tanks.... :blush:

I knew about the signal flags used by tanks early in the war, but somehow it did not come to my mind when i posted the above answer.
I even have Osprey New Vanguard No. 26, German Light Panzers 1932-1942 mentioned on Network54. In this book is indeed a short discritpion of the signal flags used.

It seems that i have to many books, so sometimes i do not know where to look first. :banghead:

Greetings
Wolflord
wolflord
Rosa Klebb

Postby gebhk » 15 May 2017

Everyone used signal flags or panels because, given the unreliability, complexity and bulk of contemporaneous communications' equipment, it would have been daft not to keep a cheap, low-tech and small/light back-up to hand. The flags and/or panels would have been either multi-coloured or had one side one colour and the other another. This was to obtain the greatest possible contrast against the background (white is often an excellent choice unless it has snowed!). Hope to get some info on WH colours used soon.

I am almost sure basic semphore code (like Morse code) is international. You can, off course, use signal flags/panels to transmit Morse code, but this takes much longer.

Best wishes
K
gebhk
Mr Osato

Postby gebhk » 15 May 2017

Got my hands on a Polish intelligence publication ca 1943.
The Germans used signalling paddles rather than flags (imagine ping pong paddles or the paddles used by traffic control soldiers). They were aluminium with natural wood handles. They came in pairs in a case. The infantry version had a diameter of 20mm and a handle of 30cm length. The paddles were split in colour half and half; white at the handle end and red above. Artillery paddles were 28 cm diameter, 37cm handle and were painted red one side, white the other.
gebhk
Mr Osato

Postby Bluewillow » 15 May 2017

gebhk wrote:Got my hands on a Polish intelligence publication ca 1943.
The Germans used signalling paddles rather than flags (imagine ping pong paddles or the paddles used by traffic control soldiers). They were aluminium with natural wood handles. They came in pairs in a case. The infantry version had a diameter of 20mm and a handle of 30cm length. The paddles were split in colour half and half; white at the handle end and red above. Artillery paddles were 28 cm diameter, 37cm handle and were painted red one side, white the other.

Thanks, have not read that before!
Bluewillow
Largo

Medals: 25
Capt Campaigner (1) Cav Campaigner (1) Arty Campaigner (1) Comm Campaigner (1) Scratch1 Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1)
Armour Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Recce campaigner (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1)
Winter Campaigner (1) Wings Campaigner (1) POW Campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1) AntiTank Campaigner (1) Easter14 Campaigner (1)
Terrain Campaigner (1) Battle Campaigner (1) Battlegroup Campaigner (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1) xmas14 campaigner (1) 2014 build (1)
2015 build campaigner (1)

Return to Painting etc Help Desk