Chechen assault, 1994.

Chechen assault, 1994.

Postby SP> » 30 Oct 2008

Here is my scenario- inspired by a link recently posted on this forum.

Russians versus Chechens set just after the start of the first Chechen War 94- 96. After the inital badly executed assaults the Russians had taken considerable causalties, in this game they had made a HQ in a small airfield which the Chechens have taken the oppertuntity to attack.

Map and terrain notes:

The rough ground should have a bit of cover for troops bit plenty of field of fire for the defending Russians- try to strike a reasonable balance. For the airfield buildings use what ever looks best that you have to hand- a mix of the Airfix control tower, Nam era bunkers and the Grand Manner checkpoint. Any WW2 urban buildings will do for the built up area.

Russian Briefing.

Date: 1994
Situation: After a rather mixed start to the campaign against Chechen separatist you have established a HQ at the edge of a small airfield, as rebel attacks are getting bolder you are prepared for an assault.
Initial Deployment: All forces start the game within the airfield area.
Victory Conditions: Survive the assault for 12 turns.
Special Rules: All men have 1 grenade per man. LMGs do not need assistants. RPGs have 3 rounds each. Two man fox holes may be placed (as many as needed) inside the airfield. Reinforcements enter on turn 2+D6 at point A.

Forces:

1- HQ section: 3 Officers 6/Gd/L AKs, 3 Ors 6/Av AKs.

2- Signals section: Officer 6/Gd/L AK, 4 Ors 6/Av AKs.

3- Rifle squad: NCO 6/Gd/L AK, Gunner 6/Av RPK, Gunner 6/Av PKM, Gunner 6/Av RPG and Pistol, 4 Riflemen 6/Av AKs.

4- Rifle squad: NCO 6/Gd/L AK, Gunner 6/Av RPK, Gunner 6/Av PKM, Gunner 6/Av RPG and Pistol, 4 Riflemen 6/Av AKs.

5- Half Rifle squad: NCO 6/Gd/L AK, Gunner 6/Av RPK, 2 Riflemen 6/Av AKs.

Reinforcements:

6- Rifle squad: NCO 6/Gd/L AK, Gunner 6/Av RPK, Gunner 6/Av PKM, Gunner 6/Av RPG and Pistol, 4 Riflemen 6/Av AKs, carried in a BTR80. All men wear body armour.

Chechen Briefing.

Date: 1944
Situation: The Russian attack to crush the seperatists has been blunted. The invaders have retreated to an airfield bases, press home the counter attack and take the airfield before more troops are brought in.
Initial Deployment: Initial forces start anywhere within the built up area.
Victory Conditions: Take the airfield by turn 12.
Special Rules: All men carry 1 grenade. LMG gunners don’t need assistants. RPG gunners have 3 rounds each. Each squad has D4-2 Molotov available.
Reinforcements arrive on turn D6 (roll per unit). They enter on a random entry point: roll a D10, B=1 etc, 9 or 10 players choice.

Forces:

1- Separatist HQ: Commander 7/Ex/XL AK, 5 bodyguard 7/Gd AKs.

2- Sniper: Sniper 6/Gd/self ordering SVD.

3- Squad 2: Squad leader 7/Gd/L AK, Gunner 7/Gd PKM, Gunner 7/Gd RPG and pistol, 5 men 7/Gd AKs.

4- Squad 3: Squad leader 7/Gd/L AK, Gunner 7/Gd PKM, Gunner 7/Gd RPG and pistol, 5 men 7/Gd AKs.

5- Squad 4: Squad leader 7/Gd/L AK, Gunner 7/Gd PKM, Gunner 7/Gd RPG and pistol, 5 men 7/Gd AKs.

Reinforcements:

6- Squad 5: Squad leader 7/Gd/L AK, Gunner 7/Gd RPK, Gunner 7/Gd RPG and pistol, 5 men 7/Gd AKs.

7- Squad 6: Squad leader 7/Gd/L AK, Gunner 7/Gd RPK, Gunner 7/Gd RPG and pistol, 5 men 7/Gd AKs, carried in a looted army truck.

8- Squad 7: Squad leader 7/Gd/L AK, Gunner 7/Gd RPK, Gunner 7/Gd RPG and pistol, 5 men 7/Gd AKs., Carried in a looted army truck

9- Local Militia: Squad leader 8/Gd/L AK, 9 men 8/Av AKs

10- MG team: Squad leader 7/Gd/L AK, Gunner 7/Gd PKM on tripod, 2 Assistants 7/Gd AKs, carried in looted GAZ jeep.

Rules: this scenario was written for Arc of Fire and the figure ratings reflect this, see http://fisherts.home.mindspring.com/aof/. I've found it gives a quick moving game which can cater for forces from a section a side to a couple of platoons a side. Some players may not like the use of markers on the tabletop but for me they are preferable to extensive record keeping, allowing the player to check the status of his figure at a glance; something that is very useful for a bigger game such as this. To help you convert the Arc Of Fire stats given here to other systems the following notes should be useful. As a reflection of a figures training and fieldcraft ability it is given a TAC (Tactical ability) rating from 4 (the Best) to 8 (the worst, morale is rated from Excellent through Good, Average, Poor and Shaky. A figure that possesses a leadership skill or quality is given an 'L’, a figure may be an excellent leader 'XL' this effectively double his radius of influence (this is an optionally rule in Arc Of Fire, page 4).
"... and then my loneliness closes in so I drink a German wine and drift in dreams of other lives and greater times..."

http://spprojectblog.wordpress.com/

http://www.penninemegagames.co.uk/
SP>
Blofeld

Medals: 37
Cav Campaigner (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1) Scratch1 Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Building Campaigner (1)
Comms Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Portrait Campaigner (1) fortified campaigner (1) Recce campaigner (1) Engineer campaigner (1)
Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty Campaigner (1) Female Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1) 40mm Campaigner (1) Wings Campaigner (1)
POW Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) 30mm Campaigner (1) Red Campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1) Ambulance campaigner (1)
60mm campaigner (1) dday campaigner (1) quick campaigner (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Brit Minis Campaigner (1) Plast1 Campaigner (1)
Battle Campaigner (1) SandS Campaigner (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1) 2010 Build (1) 2012 Build (1) xmas14 campaigner (1)
easter15 campaigner (1)

Re: Chechen assault, 1994.

Postby Brian » 30 Oct 2008

Thanks for posting this! I actually really like the AoF rule system, although I've only played 1 WW2 game with it (solo). I really liked the "feel" of the game and the way it captured squad or platoon level combat.

Thanks again!
Thanks!
GOD BLESS!
Brian
GO GATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Somebody wake up Hicks..."
Brian
Dr No

Postby Janick » 30 Oct 2008

very nice! I might convert it for SOCWAD and my Serbians and Croats! :thumbsup:

regards,

Brad :grin:
"Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning."
I take painting commissions, ACW to Moderns! PM or email at bradjanicki AT gmail.com
Janick
Drax

Medals: 14
Capt Campaigner (1) Comm Campaigner (1) Scratch1 Campaigner (1) Building Campaigner (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty Campaigner (1)
Sniper Campaigner (1) 40mm Campaigner (1) Lib Minis Campaigner (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Brit Minis Campaigner (1) Plast1 Campaigner (1)
Scen1 Campaigner (1) 2011 Build (1)

Postby Faustnik » 30 Oct 2008

Excellent scenario - I must try this with Ambush Alley :grin:

Faustnik
Faustnik
Scaramanga

Medals: 5
Building Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) fortified 3rd place (1) Terrain 2nd place (1) Scen1 1st place (1)

Return to Scenario1