Mama Told Me Not To Come

Mama Told Me Not To Come

Postby kingscarbine » 01 Oct 2008

Hello,

Since I didn't know were to sign for the competition I've posted this WIP scenario for B'Maso. It's set in Portuguese Guinea in 1969 and is based on a real Paratroopers' operation. I hope to playtest it before the deadline. Cheers

Introduction
The PAIGC, after using 12.7 mm machine guns against Portuguese aircraft took another step to counter Portuguese air superiority, and in southern Guinea, on the border with Guinea-Conakry, were listed locations of Soviet supplied ZPU-4 (quadruple) AAA, and it was decided to stage an operation to destroy/capture such weapons.

The scenario presented here for IABSM… bla bla bla

The operation begins with an aerial bombardment carried out by several Fiat G-91 (A4), followed by heli-gunships supported heli-assaults, one north and another south of the “Turras” positions.

Portuguese Briefing
Our troops have been briefed about the operation in the island of Cassebeche, south of Cassine. To maximise the surprise and confusion you’ll be inserted south of the enemy camp as the Air Force makes a final run to neutralize the AAA emplacement, while another company heli-assaults the north side.
There’s a reserve Combat Group on call at a forward support base in case things get tough. The Air Force has limited resources and support will be as available. For now you can count on a DO-27 with 37mm aerial rockets.

Callsign: Bad Wolf One
Al-III with 20mm cannon
Major PQ Justo Marques

Combat Group 1
Capitão Tavares Cardiga D6
Callsign: Gryffon One to Four
Four man each, G3
One MG42 team, one LGF Sneb 37mm team

Combat Group 2
Alferes Afonso Martins D6
Callsign: Sabre One to Four
Four man each, G3

Combat Group 3
Alferes Moura Abreu D6
Callsign: Zorro One to Four
Four man each, G3

Combat Group Reserve
Sgt Mor Victor Pinto D6
Callsign: Lightning One to Three
Five man each, G3
One LGF Sneb 37mm team

PAICG Briefing
Comrades, the colonialist forces are trying to overrun our camp. We will fight to the death... blablabla

Group One
Commander Mamadu Indjai D6
Two 8 men sections
Two RPG-2 teams, one LMG team

Group Two
Comissar Bacar Camará DAv
Two 8 men sections
Two RPG-2 team, one LMG team

Group Three
Comrade Malan Mané D4+1
9 men section
One RPG-2 team, one LMG team

Group Four
Comrade Abdulai Djaló D4+1
9 men section
One P-27 “Pancerovka” team, one LMG team

Additionally three DShK 12,7mm AAA may be positioned anywhere 20” from the ZPU-4 emplacement before the game starts.

Umpire’s Notes

PAICG Bigrupo is entrenched 500m from the AAA emplacement... blablabla

The Portuguese win a major victory if they kill 40 or more terrorists with a 10:1 kill ratio, or capture/destroy all AAA. They win a victory if they kill 30 or more with the same kill ratio, or capture/destroy more than 50% AAA. Their victories are downgraded if they achieve a 8:1 kill ratio or less. They lose if their kill ratio is below 5:1 and don’t capture the AAA emplacement. The PAIGC player wins a major if they manage to hold their positions. Their level of victory is increased for every Portuguese killed and aircraft damaged. Paratrooper Nurses will save two thirds of the Tugas who have been “killed” during the game and increase moral.

CARDS

PORTUGUESE PARATROOPERS
Major PQ Justo Marques
Capitão Tavares Cardiga
Alferes Afonso Martins
Alferes Moura Abreu
Sgt Mor Victor Pinto
Air Support
Machine Gun Bonus
Dynamic Leader
Macho Macho Man
Blinds

PAIGC
Commander Mamadu Indjai
Comissar Bacar Camará
Group Leader Abdulai Djaló
Group Leader Malan Mané
Unit Cards
Rapid Deployment
B’Maso
Blinds

General
Sundowner
Blank Card

Looking to reduce this scenario in size for TW&T? Replace the Combat Groups with five men Manoeuvre Teams and a Support Team with one MG42 and one LGF. The PAIGC forces should be reduced to four sections with a DShK 12,7mm HMG.
Last edited by kingscarbine on 02 Oct 2008, edited 1 time in total.
KC
Owner of Guerre d'Indochine Yahoo group
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/guerredindochine/
kingscarbine
Gobinda

Medals: 4
Comm Campaigner (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Lib Minis Campaigner (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1)

Re: Mama Told Me Not To Come

Postby Faustnik » 01 Oct 2008

Great scenario mate.

We need to playtest this soon - Modern Combat Group & Ambush Alley rules

Any chance of a location map, and some sketch of the tabletop?

A+

Faustnik
Faustnik
Scaramanga

Medals: 5
Building Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) fortified 3rd place (1) Terrain 2nd place (1) Scen1 1st place (1)

Postby kingscarbine » 01 Oct 2008

I'll try to finish it this weekend but we'll only be able to playtest it the next one... maybe. The map is in the making. Is there a chance to get some Al-III's ready? :grin:
kingscarbine
Gobinda

Comm Campaigner (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Lib Minis Campaigner (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1)

Mama Told Me Not To Come

Postby kingscarbine » 08 Oct 2008

The scenario is now available in PDF:
http://www.swoopshare.com/file/54ba1347 ... e.pdf.html

There will probably be some modifications after the playtest so stay tuned for more news during the weekend.

Cheers
Last edited by kingscarbine on 28 Oct 2008, edited 1 time in total.
kingscarbine
Gobinda

Postby Sam Scott » 08 Oct 2008

I'm loving this scenario.

If you playtest it, will you get pics?

Pretty please?
Sam Scott
Dr No

Medals: 14
Afloat Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Building Campaigner (1) Comms Campaigner (1) Female Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1)
Wings Campaigner (1) 30mm Campaigner (1) Lib Minis Campaigner (1) Plast1 Campaigner (1) SandS 3rd place (1) Pendraken 3rd place (1)
Scen1 Campaigner (1) 2012 Build (1)

Postby kingscarbine » 09 Oct 2008

Cheers mate! :thumbsup: We are still working on figs and terrain so will be using proxy material. Faustnik will probably post an AAR with all the details by Monday. I'm working on more Portuguese African Wars scenarios for another project. News to follow in a few weeks.
kingscarbine
Gobinda

Postby Bob_Mackenzie » 09 Oct 2008

Very nice presentation on the scenario
Bob_Mackenzie
Goldfinger

Medals: 17
Capt Campaigner (1) Cav Campaigner (1) Arty Campaigner (1) Comm Campaigner (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1)
England Campaigner (1) Comms Campaigner (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty Campaigner (1) Wings Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1)
dday campaigner (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Brit Minis Campaigner (1) Plast1 Campaigner (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1)

Postby kingscarbine » 13 Oct 2008

We playtested a "low fat" (with beers and pretzels) version of the scenario a couple of times on Friday with Ambush Alley. No photos I'm afraid. The first game was pretty close to the real outcome. Comrade Faustnik commanded the PAIGC guerrillas and I the Portuguese Paratroopers. The terrain was a mix of rice paddies and "bush" with the ZPU and 12,7mm in a clearing. The Paratroopers started to take casualties as soon as they advanced. The left "section" was pinned down in the first bushes with a couple of wounded while in the center an MG42 team and assault rifle group tried to beat the guerrillas. On the right flank two "sections" boldly dashed across a rice paddy to take cover in the jungle and survived the guerrillas RPG and LMG fire with minor casualties. Unfortunately they were also pinned down. With both flanks stopped the Combat Group leader decided to advance through the centre with the 37mm rocket propelled grenade team and fire at guerrillas positions on the right. By this time more PAIGC troops arrived and attacked the paratroopers left flank wiping out the section on that flank. Unable to effectively continue to the objective the Paras had to withdraw.

For the second game we decided to downsize the guerrilla force. In the first game the PAIGC had many RPG and LMG available and, being light troops, the Paratroopers suffered from lack of heavy support weapons. The game started with a more cautious move by the Paratroopers. They moved much like the first game but now used the available cover more discerningly. Being veteran against "green" helped to maintain initiative and block the guerrillas response. This time the Paras advanced steadily with minor casualties but we had to stop the game due to lack of time. We draw a couple of "Fog of War" cards his time with the PAIGC coming up winning with a mortar barrage on top of my command group and being able to field a 12,7mm in ground support.

All in all two very enjoyable games that we'll try again along with other Portuguese African Wars scenarios I'm working on.

Cheers
kingscarbine
Gobinda

Postby Faustnik » 13 Oct 2008

Some pictures of the table top - full of improvised things :blush: :blush: :blush:

The table (120x80cm) view from the Paras entry point - the LZ is just out of the table

The PAIGC defensive line

Faustnik
Faustnik
Scaramanga

Medals: 5
Building Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) fortified 3rd place (1) Terrain 2nd place (1) Scen1 1st place (1)

Mama Told Me Not To Come

Postby kingscarbine » 28 Oct 2008

http://www.swoopshare.com/file/54ba1347 ... e.pdf.html

This is the final version of the scenario. I've decided to add more firepower to the Paras by giving one LGF team to each Combat Group to counter the guerrillas RPG's and give them a better chance of success. If you try it please send some feedback.

Cheers
kingscarbine
Gobinda

Return to Scenario1