1/72 Normandy chapel and barn

1/72 Normandy chapel and barn

Postby 6mmfan » 26 Oct 2017

I've started making a couple of 20mm scale buildings for Chain of Command. I wanted buildings with a smaller footprint than my 1/72 italeri buildings which have a big footprint on the table.

The first building is a chapel and my inspriation was the Chapel of St Ceneri. I'm not sure if its actually in Normandy but its a nice simple design :grin:

So I started with some 5mm foamboard and model railway textured stonework sheet. I cut the baseic shape out and laminated them together. The widows are from a set of model railway buildings and although they dont look quite like chapel windows the overall shape is good. The resindoor is from Gamecraft.

Next I cut thin beveled strips out of a foam (similar to blue foam but from a modelshop) to go around the windows and door frames. it pretty hard to see that in the picture.

Then I assembled it and added a roof and floor from 3mm card. I cut pieces out of the ends of the walls to make it stronger and also for the floor to make it stronger.

Onto the barn

The idea was to have a smaller barn with a stone extension, and make the barn look a bit run down. With the barn I followed a similar construction technique, but I plan to texture the walls on the main piece. I cut the windows and doors out and used thin card to edge the frames. The doors are from Gamecraft.

The barn door was made from balsa wood and card. I stuck to card foamboard and balsa for the buildings as it all glues together well with PVA.

Also with this building I made a floor from card and the roof. And I have started on the roof which is made from thin card cut into strips.

More soon.
Last edited by 6mmfan on 27 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.
6mmfan
Dr No

Medals: 10
Building Campaigner (1) Armour Campaigner (1) 40mm Campaigner (1) Wings Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) Terrain Campaigner (1)
2012 Build (1) 2013 Build (1) 2015 build campaigner (1) 2016 build campaigner (1)

Re: Normandy chapel and barn

Postby Brodir » 26 Oct 2017

Brilliant... love the first photo :good: :good:
Brodir
Dr No

Postby 6mmfan » 26 Oct 2017

Yes its very inspirational

Brodir wrote:Brilliant... love the first photo :good: :good:
6mmfan
Dr No

Building Campaigner (1) Armour Campaigner (1) 40mm Campaigner (1) Wings Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) Terrain Campaigner (1)
2012 Build (1) 2013 Build (1) 2015 build campaigner (1) 2016 build campaigner (1)

Postby whoa mohamed » 27 Oct 2017

6mm? Never mind sorry 20mm
whoa mohamed
Baron Samedi

Postby 6mmfan » 27 Oct 2017

Yes 20mm or 1/72

A small confession, I started these a couple of weeks ago so I am catching up on the progress.

Chapel

I added some buttresses(?) to the chapel as I noticed them in the photos and it breaks up the walls. These were carved from blue foam using a pen and knife. Later on I reduced the size of these as they looked too large.
Also after many nights gluing cardboard on I finished the roof. The tiles were made from a mix of strips and individual tiles (with a few to glue down again!)

More progress on the Barn. I textured the walls using acrylic caulk (sealant) and I added some details. I cut some card strips up in 5mm wide strips and folded and glued them to make the window frames and added windows from Gamecraft. The shutters and bits above the windows are spares from Italeri's 1/72 Mediterranean style buildings. And some details on and around the barn doors.

Also I finished the roof but it looks a little too fantasy IMHO

More soon
Cheers
6mmfan
Dr No

Re: 1/72 Normandy chapel and barn

Postby sandsmodels » 28 Oct 2017

great work
major 20mm and 28mm scale vehicles and equipment suppliers to wargamers of the world. http://www.sandsmodels.com
pics of most of the ranges here:-http://s513.photobucket.com/albums/t339/sandsmodels/
sandsmodels
Blofeld

Postby 6mmfan » 02 Nov 2017

I'm onto the final details for these now. I could have started painting the buildings, but I wanted to add something more to them and I was inspired by the amazing modelling work of this guy http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/a ... art-1/4083

Chapel

First I pushed a stone into the stone work to rough it up and create some unevenness to it. Then I added some random pieces of wire and card to the building, which I saw a lot of in the link above. I reduced the sizes of the stones supports and they look much better now. Also I've seen pictures of stone buildings which have metal plate and bolts which is maybe some sort of bracing. Finally I gave the building a thin watered down wash of polyfilla mixed with caulk over the stone work and wiped off any excess. it also help fill the gaps.

Barn

I followed a similar process to the chapel and glued some random pieces onto the building. Included was a sign from an Italeri set and a ladder I think from a Hasegawa watchtower. The metal plates were card and I used some cut off brass pins for the bolts (which I forgot on the chapel). And a couple of pieces if plasticard I add above the main barn doors.

Next up, basing and painting
6mmfan
Dr No

Postby Ceeteegee » 02 Nov 2017

Nicely done and a very useful link to the Military Modelling article. This and the Sudwall fortifications topic tell me I should get back into producing a little bit of my own terrain. :thumbsup:
Ceeteegee
Out of work Henchman

Postby DonFabrizio » 02 Nov 2017

excellent work!
DonFabrizio
Goldfinger

Medals: 4
Afloat Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1) Winter Campaigner (1) 2011 Build (1)

Postby dead1 » 02 Nov 2017

Wow. Stunning work!
dead1
Pussy Galore

Medals: 1
2014 build (1)

Postby SABOT » 02 Nov 2017

Great work.
"Keep Loading!"
SABOT
Nick Nack

Postby 6mmfan » 13 Nov 2017

Lots of progress in this update as i forgot to take photos during the painting stages!

For the brick walls I wanted to try a new and hopefully more realistic technique. I painted the buildings with a slate colour and then once that was dry I went over the wall with a white paint. While the white paint was still wet, I wiped it off the highlights with a tissue,leaving the white in the cracks (to look like mortar). Some pieces I had to go over a couple of times and on some places the tissue removed some of the slate base colour. This actually helped with the effect, giving the bricks some shading and variation.

Next I washed parts of the wall with brown and green washes and then followed up with some green and brown weathering powders. Rust powders were used on the metal parts on the buildings.

Originally I wasn't going to base the buildings but I decided to go with a simple and small basing scheme. For the church I kept it basic with a small base and a ruined piece of wall. Later on I will add some gates and a couple of gravestones. For the barn I added a wall made from foamboard, cardboard and a some Busch gate posts. Parts of the Barn base is blended into the building at the back so that the base is not to intrusive.

Thanks for looking
6mmfan
Dr No

Postby mausmann » 13 Nov 2017

Excellent piece of terrain, well done..... :thumbsup:
"And this too, shall pass away..."

It was a very old platitude, even then........
mausmann
Renard

Medals: 29
Capt Campaigner (1) Comm Campaigner (1) Sur1 3rd place (1) Afloat Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Armour 1st place (1)
fortified 1st place (1) Recce 3rd place (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty Campaigner (1) Female Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1)
40mm Campaigner (1) Wings Campaigner (1) 30mm Campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1) Easter14 Campaigner (1) Ambulance campaigner (1)
dday 1st place (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Brit Minis Campaigner (1) Battle Campaigner (1) SandS 1st place (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1)
Big Game 2010 (1) 2013 Build 1st place (1) 2014 build 1st place (1) 2015 build 1st place (1) 2016 build 1st place (1)

Postby z1pp132002 » 13 Nov 2017

Impressive scratchbuilding.
z1pp132002
Nick Nack

Postby 6mmfan » 14 Nov 2017

Thank you. Almost finished!
6mmfan
Dr No

Postby Adler » 14 Nov 2017

Very nice indeed. :grin:
L
Adler
General Orlov

Postby Peterh » 14 Nov 2017

it's been really fun watching this progress, the stonework in particular has come out really well - would you mind sharing what company's stone sheet you used? it's one of the better ones I've seen in terms of proportion and variation. great job!
Peterh
Dr No

Postby Taylor » 14 Nov 2017

1st class work Sir :hello: :hello:
All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
Taylor
Scaramanga

Medals: 35
Flak Campaigner (1) Building Campaigner (1) Comms Campaigner (1) Photo 3rd place (1) FriendFoe 3rd place (1) Armour Campaigner (1)
Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Portrait Campaigner (1) fortified 1st place (1) Recce campaigner (1) Engineer campaigner (1) 40mm Campaigner (1)
Wings Campaigner (1) POW Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) 30mm Campaigner (1) Red Campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1)
AntiTank Campaigner (1) Easter14 Campaigner (1) Ambulance campaigner (1) 60mm campaigner (1) dday campaigner (1) quick campaigner (1)
SandS Campaigner (1) Pendraken Campaigner (1) Battlegroup Campaigner (1) 2012 Build (1) 2013 Build (1) xmas15 campaigner (1)
xmas14 campaigner (1) 2014 build (1) easter15 3rd place (1) 2015 build campaigner (1) 2016 build campaigner (1)

Postby Johnny60 » 16 Nov 2017

Very nice - love the colour of the stonework and mortar. Looking forward to seeing the final flourish!
Johnny60
Tee Hee

Postby Kaleut » 19 Nov 2017

Nice one! You'll also be pleased to know that it is indeed in Normandy (just!). North of Le Mans and SW of Alencon, so US sector.

Stefan
Kaleut
Professor Dent

Return to Work in progress