Road-building

Road-building

Postby Fitz » 24 Aug 2017

A couple of years ago, when I had access to someone with a laser cutter, I got a bunch of road sections cut from 3mm MDF. My cunning plan was to give them interlinking jigsaw ends, so that they'd stay in place on the tabletop during a game.

That turned out not to be such a fantastic idea. It's not that it didn't work, but it made the individual pieces a lot more troublesome to lay out and to pick up afterwards.

So, now that I'm on a bit of a terrain-building kick, I've got on to actually making some roads out of the pieces, and I'm starting by cutting off the interlocking tabs. A good sharp saw takes care of that with just two or three strokes, so it's not a big deal.

I've bevelled all the edges on my belt sander, and the next step is to carve out the wheel tracks with a shallow 25mm gouge. That takes a little bit more time and effort than cutting the ends square. Then everything is given a quick once-over with very coarse sandpaper to knock all the edges off.

I'm not completely sure that this is a necessary step; I'll finish one section without carving to see if the difference is noticeable enough to make it worth while carving all the others.

This is the first finished section (with carved-out wheel tracks). I was a little worried that the MDF strips might warp under the paint and glue, but it turns out to be OK and sits quite flat. This is quite a short piece though, and some of the others are a lot longer.

I did consider adding a bit more vegetation along the sides of the road, but I decided against it as it would make the pieces a bit more difficult to stack and store.

If I decide later on that I'd prefer them a bit more overgrown, it's a simple matter to add more crap.
Fitz
Pussy Galore

Re: Road-building

Postby Fitz » 25 Aug 2017

This piece hasn't had its wheel tracks carved out, and to my eye the difference is pretty minimal. I can tell the difference, but I'm not sure if that's because I know it's there.
Fitz
Pussy Galore

Postby SP> » 25 Aug 2017

Looks good to me- if it saves extra work I know what I'd do....
"... and then my loneliness closes in so I drink a German wine and drift in dreams of other lives and greater times..."

http://spprojectblog.wordpress.com/

http://www.penninemegagames.co.uk/
SP>
Blofeld

Medals: 37
Cav Campaigner (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1) Scratch1 Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Building Campaigner (1)
Comms Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Portrait Campaigner (1) fortified campaigner (1) Recce campaigner (1) Engineer campaigner (1)
Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty Campaigner (1) Female Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1) 40mm Campaigner (1) Wings Campaigner (1)
POW Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) 30mm Campaigner (1) Red Campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1) Ambulance campaigner (1)
60mm campaigner (1) dday campaigner (1) quick campaigner (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Brit Minis Campaigner (1) Plast1 Campaigner (1)
Battle Campaigner (1) SandS Campaigner (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1) 2010 Build (1) 2012 Build (1) xmas14 campaigner (1)
easter15 campaigner (1)

Postby Bluewillow » 28 Aug 2017

Great stuff, been thinking about something similar

Cheers
Matt
Bluewillow
Largo

Medals: 26
Capt Campaigner (1) Cav Campaigner (1) Arty Campaigner (1) Comm Campaigner (1) Scratch1 Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1)
Armour Campaigner (1) Terrain2 Campaigner (1) Recce campaigner (1) Engineer campaigner (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty Campaigner (1)
Sniper Campaigner (1) Winter Campaigner (1) Wings Campaigner (1) POW Campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1) AntiTank Campaigner (1)
Easter14 Campaigner (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Battle Campaigner (1) Battlegroup Campaigner (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1) xmas14 campaigner (1)
2014 build (1) 2015 build campaigner (1)

Postby Bob_Mackenzie » 31 Aug 2017

They look lovely :)

A small tip. Chop a number of the curves into two or three segments. Using a similar commercial systems I always find the curves are too long and curve too far, especially if I am trying to match a scenario map
Bob_Mackenzie
Goldfinger

Medals: 17
Capt Campaigner (1) Cav Campaigner (1) Arty Campaigner (1) Comm Campaigner (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1)
England Campaigner (1) Comms Campaigner (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty Campaigner (1) Wings Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1)
dday campaigner (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Brit Minis Campaigner (1) Plast1 Campaigner (1) Scen1 Campaigner (1)

Postby Fitz » 31 Aug 2017

Bob_Mackenzie wrote:A small tip. Chop a number of the curves into two or three segments. Using a similar commercial systems I always find the curves are too long and curve too far, especially if I am trying to match a scenario map

Yes, I've done that to most of them — I've left a couple long though, just in case.
Fitz
Pussy Galore

Return to Terrain